Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric boat motors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric boat motors

Do any of you have any experience with electric boat motors. I have a 20 hp gas motor my boat now. Just in the thinking stage right now but considering going to an electric. I usually don't travel very far where with my big motor on the lakes I fish so I wouldn't have to have a large electric. Reason I am considering this is because there are some lakes close that doesn't allow a ga motor on your boat. Any feedback with pros or cons, brand of motor you have experience with will be greatly appreciated! ! Thanks in advance.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not familiar with any particular manufacturer, but, If it were me, I would look for a motor using the Kort nozzle. That is what the big boys use. Efficiency +.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

The most important consideration is the size of your boat. Assuming it's 16' or less, a 55 lb. thrust Minn Kota should take good care of you - IF, you power it with at least a series 27 deep cycle 12 volt battery. You'll be able to troll all day with that set up.

If you boat is larger, you probably should consider a 24 volt system utilizing two deep cycle batteries.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Blackhawk19 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    The most important consideration is the size of your boat. Assuming it's 16' or less, a 55 lb. thrust Minn Kota should take good care of you - IF, you power it with at least a series 27 deep cycle 12 volt battery. You'll be able to troll all day with that set up.

If you boat is larger, you probably should consider a 24 volt system utilizing two deep cycle batteries.
    I have a 55lb TM and it will pull my boat 2 MPH I want something that will push me fasterthan that when I am traveling a mile or 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Torqeedo electric motors

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an Elco 9.9hp. Elco was a Thomas Edison company (I believe). Probably made in China now,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy1r07eQLlo
    Likes theygotaeat, Tracker123 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota EO is something to look into. Thought of going the all electric route. Tired of tune ups, taxes, bad carbs, impellers, etc
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cardsfan55 View Post
    I have a 55lb TM and it will pull my boat 2 MPH I want something that will push me fasterthan that when I am traveling a mile or 2.
    Are you saying that with your 55# thrust motor you can only go 2 mph at full throttle? What size is your boat? If that is the fastest you can go with a full open 55, then the only way you can get more power/speed is by going to a 24V. or 36V. system. Unless of course you go to an engine other than electric. They make some nice 4-cycle, small hp engines these days, but they are costly!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

My boat is a 16 ft Pondtoon..you must have missed the part in my original post about having a 20 Hp gas engine?

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at building me a electric outboard at one time. I never found a old 10-15 bad motor that I could use as a platform (cheap). The dc motors and the dc motor controls are available. You can even use golf cart motors and controllers. Take about $2000 give or take 500 or 1000, but you can build 10 hp electric yourself. There are also gas to electric conversion kits available. Lots of "how to's " on U tube.

There are numerous projects on u tube and some are excellent concepts.

Big hp electrics cost big bucks.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast