Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Good deal yesterday!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good deal yesterday!

Hello everyone,
    I have been looking to upgrade my depth finder on my 18ft xpress for a while now. Went over to Field & Stream in Cary yesterday, Picked up a Humminbird 1199 for a little over $800. The best deal I have seen so far. It will be quite the learning curve for me, since I only have a Lowrance Elite 5 DSI. Never have used SI, never even been with another boater who had it and could give me pointers. I will probably take a while to learn it, try to not rush it. If anyone has this unit and would like to offer some pointers, that would be awesome. It is HUGE compared to that 5" screen on the Lowrance.
    Fishing is a science, study, experiment, fail, and succeed...then start over tomorrow. Yeah I'm a science guy.
    03 18ft Xpress Jon boat Center console 90 HP 4stroke Yamaha Humminbird 1199HD SI
    97 14ft Polar Kraft Jon boat 85 Johnson 30hp Lowrance Elite 5 DSI
    Likes brucec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Dang I thought I got a good deal. If you can operate a lowrance you will love the user friendly effort from hummingbird. Just spend a little time in simulation mode. You can save your settings there and they will transfer to normal operation mode. First thing put your user setting in advanced mode so you can review everything that's offered. The world of side image is great if one understands about proper transducer installation. High speed bottom return is also a issue with this monster transducer. My screen still looks huge to me and I had a 998 for years. Great deal and enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to your home lake or one you know well and run over area's that you know what's there and see how it translates to SI. Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Watch the you tube videos also. They'll speed your learning curve up some. Nothing will beat self trial though. Got mine last year, and you can learn something new about it, or what it's showing you, just about every trip out.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a smoking deal IMHO! Lots of great info right here on CDC. When you have questions just ask
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

the real question is how many more did they have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gobbler View Post
    the real question is how many more did they have?
    I got the last one! it was a display model, and I was hesitant at first, but looked at the tag and it had only been displayed for a couple of months. I also bargained with them a little to give me a little better deal. The screen appeared to have a little scratch, but after a good cleaning with very dilute dawn detergent, and a water towel after that, it has 0 scratches. They do have 999's and 899's at a steal though. 25% off of the clearance price, which is still cheaper than anyone else. To be honest, the clearance price is already cheaper than everyone else, and then you get 25% more off.
    Fishing is a science, study, experiment, fail, and succeed...then start over tomorrow. Yeah I'm a science guy.
    03 18ft Xpress Jon boat Center console 90 HP 4stroke Yamaha Humminbird 1199HD SI
    97 14ft Polar Kraft Jon boat 85 Johnson 30hp Lowrance Elite 5 DSI