Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max Brush Pile Depth

Post Thanks / Like

Default Max Brush Pile Depth

Hey everyone. I've been fishing crappie for a long time but it's always been in shallow lakes and bayous and never needed any brush to attract crappie. Now that I am fishing a larger and deeper lake it seems brush piles are the way to go. I just started putting out brush piles a few weeks ago in 20 to 30 ft of water using sweet gum and willow. My question is, what would be the maximum depth to put the brush piles and still be able to catch crappie, winter or summer? Thanks
    Likes Nutbush LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to post your question here. I think location may be just as important as depth, but you want to remember that during the summer months, your lake may have a thermocline that fish may not go beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

IF YOU HAVE A CLEAR LAKE NOT HARD TO CATCH THEM 50 FEET OR MORE BUT I DON'T LIKE TO FISH THAT DEEP ALSO HARD TO KEEP ALIVE.30 TO 35 AND BRUSH TOPS 20 FEET IS ALL YOU SHOULD EVERY NEED.IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF WHITE CRAPPIES THEY MAY GO A LITTLE DEEPER,JUST NOT THAT MUCH FUN FISHING THOSE DEPTHS
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks I'll keep all that in mind. I realized the information I was looking for was somewhere on this website. I'am new here and thanks for redirecting me to the proper pages. I'am sure it will be a learning phase until I can kinda figure out what to do. Thank again

Post Thanks / Like

great info
    Likes endo2075 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rbriscoe View Post
    Ok thanks I'll keep all that in mind. I realized the information I was looking for was somewhere on this website. I'am new here and thanks for redirecting me to the proper pages. I'am sure it will be a learning phase until I can kinda figure out what to do. Thank again
    Sorry I should have welcomed you to the site!!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Central Florida. When I lived in TN an fished deeper and colder water in the winter there were several things I looked for. Some brush was in different depths and other structure was natural. Finding a productive point and placing brush from 10' or so to the deeper water every 5 or 10 feet deeper gives the fish something to move to when their needs change and not necessarily out of the area. So maybe from 10 to 30 or 40'. I fished trees in the winter in 50+ fow(feet of water) and the fish suspended from 20 to 35' deep. Learning your home waters over time is the most valuable thing there is in this game.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome. The lake where I am fishing is toledo bend. I was trying to find the depths of water that the average fishermen tend to overlook and still have a fair chance of being near the fish. I like the idea of the stick buckets also. Next week when I get back on the lake I'll search for those shallower areas to.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum .....in these parts we sink most of ours between 10 and 20 .......we have a few lakes that are deep but i dont like to fish deep .....
    some of the best piles for me are in less than 15 foot of water in the spring summer and fall .
    a drop off from say 10 to 20 foot with the brush right on the edge might be the ticket ....depending on lots of factors ...clarity ,thermocline ,predominant wind direction ,etc etc ......and if you google map a lake in the mode where you see actual color ...a super green looking cove is typically the ticket ....lots of bait equals lots of crappie
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ketchn, also info helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast