Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best swimbait for U-rigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best swimbait for U-rigs?

I'm thinking about trying to build 2 umbrella rigs-one with chartreuse/white bucktail jigs and one with swimbaits. What is the best swim bait to use on this rig? I will be fishing upper Yadkin chain and maybe Jordan Lake in NC.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Nccater you need to get in touch with Pete in NC. He's got some A-rigs and he can help you out. He's a good guy.

Post Thanks / Like

nccater, I fish lake hickory all the time for stripers and use Pete's rigs. I rig them with 1/4 oz saltwater jigheads all around and usually a one oz bucktail in the middle with a chartreuse 6 inch saltwater trailer. I use curly tail 4 or 5 inch grubs (fat alberts are my favorite) on the other jig heads. This setup has worked best for me. I really like white, but sometimes catch them on Pete's chartreuse. I think the spinner in the middle of the arms on Pete's rigs make a big difference. You can also use the flash mob jr rig that walmart sells. It is just not as well made as Pete's but does have the middle spinners. I pull probably 200 yards of line and can get to a little better than 20 foot with this set-up.

Post Thanks / Like

Cwright what speed are you going with 200 yards out?

Post Thanks / Like

2.4 to 2.6
    Likes Eatmorecrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have also dropped the trolling motor and slowed down even further to get deeper, but seem to stay hung up if I do anything different so I usually just pull that speed. Wife fusses everytime we have to wind in about how much line is out. lol.
    Likes Eatmorecrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Buying them pre-built is worth the money to me. Some sellers include a chart for running depth. A stout hook is necessary for rockfish. The power of the fish and the need to keep the boat going to avoid hanging up will bend a hook easily. Get also a tool to retrieve them after you get hung.

I don't think you can outrun a rockfish. I've caught them from 2.0 to 5.0mph. I run 2.8 to 3.0 with outboard to get good hooksets, but speeding up and slowing down can help get more strikes.

And I hear y'all on having so much line out. I'd much rather fight one hooked 30' below the boat than 600' behind it.