Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much and how long ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much and how long ?

I know factually crappie shrink in length when they come out of warm water and go into cold water . So how much do they shrink in length and in what time frame is my question ? I have seen some lose an inch easily over night on ice , but I am pretty sure I have seen some lose a half inch or more in just a few hours submerged in ice water . One fish lost well over an inch in about 36 hours in an ice bath .
    And one more thing to think about , how much weight do they lose in this condition as well ? A State fisheries guy told me a 1.25 lb. fish was possibly 1.75 lbs. before I iced her for almost 2 days .
    Wondering what yawl think ?
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never measured them after they were on ice over nite but I on my home lake we have a 12 inch size limit and you better not keep one smaller than 12 1/8 inches, if you do and put him on ice before you leave the lake he will be under 12 inches.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

We have the 12 inch limit where I fish.....and it reads over 12 ....a 12 will get you in trouble......i do not keep them if they are not over 12 and a quarter inch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

On two different days, my first fish caught was 12 3/8, caught at daylight. Remeasured at around 3:00 PM while cleaning them. After being on ice from from daylight to 3:00 PM, both fish measured 12 1/8. Too close for me. I won't keep one unless it is over 12 3/8.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Lose a 1/4 inch of length on ice in a reasonable amount of time, possibly more the longer they sit (overnight). As far as weight I dunno, if I have a fish I wanna weigh, I do it before it goes on the ice..

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say for sure. But I wont keep a redfish or trout unless it is a solid inch over minimum slot.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking you need to clean your fish quicker when your trip is done!

1 1/2 to 2 days before cleaning? I get antsy if I'm not cleaning within an hour of getting home
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a "over"10 in length limit and 15 crappie per person. On Norfork lake. We only Keep 10 per person"our self imposed limit" and make sure they are "over" 11 in before putting them on ice and taking them Home no need or Reason to take a Chance.With that being said if you catch a short fish and hook it deep."If you keep it you are breaking the law if you return after killing it you break the law."Wasting".We try our best to revive the fish the best we can.Don't like length limits because of this Law.Good post will be interesting.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6poundtest View Post
    I'm thinking you need to clean your fish quicker when your trip is done!

1 1/2 to 2 days before cleaning? I get antsy if I'm not cleaning within an hour of getting home
    we ice them in slush ice for up to 2 days sometimes ....of course we dont open body cavities when we fillet them but if you keep them in slush they are ok meat wise ..
    i almost never clean them the day i ketch them ....fresh fish of the day are a pain to fillet and bleed to much for me ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast