Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Whites at Pickwick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whites at Pickwick

Fished Pickwick for 2 hours today before lightning ran me off. It was hot....had I not had the bimini I would not have been able to fish. Sure makes for some nice shade. The ThunderHawk Dancer is quite the lure. I caught a little over 2 dozen white bass today on a Midnight Blue Dancer....also a few largemouth. Only one pic as I just did not want to fool with the camera. My clothes were soaked and doing anything in that heat was a chore. All the whites were sows....big and fat. The are gorging on shad....on the bottom in 23 feet of water under the shad. All fish caught using Major Craft Truzer Ajing 6' 5" Ajing UL "Hard" model. Reel was spooled with 4# test NanoFil and a 2 foot section of 4# test Phantom fluro leader. My rod setup made for a ton of fun with these fish....pulling hard in that oxygen rich water. I started fishing at noon......headed to vehicle at 2:00 p.m....loaded the boat at 2:15 p.m. Lightning and me just do not get along. I had a fishing buddy show up just as storm hit...he wanted me to hang around but I headed home. At 2:00 p.m. they increased the flow to 39,000. This made the bite go off the charts. While I caught my fish off the bottom my buddy started catching them in the jumps. So it is on at Pickwick. There are shad everywhere and fish are feeding. Going again Wednesday....life is good!

Regards

Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Niced batch of white bass, Alphahawk are the stripers doing anything this time of year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moecarama View Post
    Niced batch of white bass, Alphahawk are the stripers doing anything this time of year?
    Thanks.....they are catching some. The problem is the generation cycle they have been in all summer. It is only around 39,000 CFS from around noon until 6:00 p.m. In years past they would crank out between 60,000-75,000 CFS. The white bass and largemouth are in the jumps though. Find a good ambush point and you can catch all you want. I went Thursday and had over 100 fish in 3 hours. They were busting everywhere around the boat. But man was it hot.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, the Cumberland is muddy 4 out of 7 day's up here. I need to change locations and maybe run over to Kentucky/Barkley. Pickwick is about 2.5 hrs from here it's been awhile since I've been in that area.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a haul for me now that I moved. But old habits die hard. It is an awesome fishery.

Regards

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish! Great report. Glad you had fun.