Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning and Keeping Your Catch!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleaning and Keeping Your Catch!

I would think that it's kind of a "no-brainer" this time of year with heat and all that you need to really watch how you keep and clean your catch. However just as recently as a week ago I seen fish being kept in a tub with out any water or ice; just pitching them in to take home for cleaning. I myself do not have a live well and use an ice chest for my catch but I always throw in a couple bags of ice first and cover them with ice when heading home. I see many like to clean there catch at the lake, which is probably the best idea but many times for me it's already dark so cleaning at the house is easier plus the tomatoes really like the scraps.
    Likes NIMROD, slackline LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

ice in livewwell

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I perfer keeping in airated livewell till it gets too hot then ice chest full of ice for me . Clean most at public fish cleaning station and back on ice . But give away lots of limits before filleting if possiable . When garden not planted I do carry in lots of scraps for the mater patch .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes slackline LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my livewell ... generally half full of water ... and add a 1gal plastic jug of ice

I will also take along a cooler, left in the truck, where when I'm finished fishing for the day the fish are placed for transport back home ... in those instances where I cannot clean them at the lake. The 1gal jug of ice is also placed in the cooler, if it still has > 1/3 the ice left ... and if not, a bag of ice would be purchased and placed in the cooler (if the trip home would take more than 1hr).

This is done for several reasons :

so as not to have a slimy livewell to clean
    so as not to have slime water drained out onto the parking lot at my residence
    the cooler/jug are easier to clean (inside my residence)
    to insure that my catch doesn't spoil during transport

Post Thanks / Like

Ice
    Ice
    Ice
    While filet ice
    Ice
    Ice

Sent from my GT-I9515L using Tapatalk

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a live well.Keep in livewell while fishing .Put on ice while transporting to lake house or Home before cleaning.A lot of lake's have length limit's.Do not like cleaning them on the lake are boat ramp's.some have cleaning station's for cleaning.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

My boat doesn't have a live well. The fish go right into a cooler of ice for me. I like to fillet them at a fish cleaning station at the lake where possible. I like to rinse the fillets and put them in gallon zipper bags then back into the ice for the ride home. When I get home the fillets get dried and vacuum sealed for the freezer.
    Likes vic n LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a live well but I do not use it in summer. If I am keeping fish they go straight on ice. TN does not have very many cleaning stations on our lakes...hardly any really. Cleaning ones catch at the lake in TN can get you a ticket....depending on the situation....where at and so forth....not saying one will get a ticket but it is a rule never the less. Here is the exact wording "It is unlawful to possess while afield any fishwhich has been altered to the extent thatits species or total body length cannot bedetermined".

Regards
    Likes bandchaser LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    Ice
    Ice
    Ice
    While filet ice
    Ice
    Ice

Sent from my GT-I9515L using Tapatalk
    That's my method, once they're in the box they're on ice until they hit the freezer back home.
    Likes yikess LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If it's in the 90's and above like it's been the last few weeks, they'll go straight into the color full of ice. At the end of the day I will rearrange the ice to put plenty on top of the fish for the ride to the house. I haven't had the best survival rate when the water and air temps are so high. When fishing tourneys in the heat, we put frozen liter bottles of water into the live wells to bring down the water temps and add a Power Bubbles stone to increase aeration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast