PDA

View Full Version : I got to try this, the Mr. Crappie Speedshooter

Slab
07-18-2016, 10:16 AM
I have to try one of these. Especially when you shoot docks you get that line slap, so if this thing works, that's gonna be awesome.

2JuZpaL0FKc

Wally is such a natural in front of a camera, wish I could do that. Great to see you at ICAST Walt.

"G"
07-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Yep....looks good....might have to try one too

genec
07-18-2016, 11:45 AM
I LIKE IT IF IT IS NEARLY THAT GOOD,WONDER WHERE YOU BUY IT AND HOW MUCH

Redge
07-18-2016, 12:04 PM
I LIKE IT IF IT IS NEARLY THAT GOOD,WONDER WHERE YOU BUY IT AND HOW MUCH

X2!

CrappiePappy
07-18-2016, 01:12 PM
I would go with the 7' model ... seeing as how the split grip handle looks to be nearly 2' long, by itself, that leaves you 5' of rod blank.

These "new" products are 2017 models, so one would expect them to become available later this year .... like maybe after Sept. :dono (in time for the Christmas lists :biggrin )

I also expect them to be in the $79.95 - $99.95 price range ... considering the current retail prices of similar rods of other brands.

Personally speaking, I'm not a real big fan of split grip handles on Crappie rods. Their main purpose is for "leverage" (during hookset & fighting the fish) and that's rarely necessary on a fish in the 1-3lb category. IMHO

KiK
07-18-2016, 01:19 PM
Available mid-August to September according to Springfield. But I bet some well-connected Crappitians will have their greasy palms on one before then.

broz
07-18-2016, 02:42 PM
Make me a tester And I will let everyone if they work good or not

"G"
07-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Well....Since they just had ICAST where all new fishing products are introduced....they may be out now or very soon. Like Wally said in the video made by him and Lews. Wally Marshall and Lews are major sponsors of Crappie .com Go to the Lews website and inquire about this new rod....take a look around too while your there. Lew's Fishing (http://www.lews.com/index.php)

Blackhawk19
07-18-2016, 05:41 PM
These are the guides he's talking about, they've been available to rod builders for a few years and now manufacturers are putting them on production rods.
Shopping (http://www.mudhole.com/MicroWave-Spinning-Guides?quantity=1&custcol21=55&custcol_ring_type=3&custcol_guide_frame=1)

CrappiePappy
07-18-2016, 06:08 PM
I'm wondering if they (Lew's) have started using micro-guides after the "gathering guide", like ESP rods have done since they were initially designed ??

I can see where that "bullseye" (Microwave) guide would funnel the outgoing line. But, my ESP rods have a large gathering guide, and I don't experience any noticeable "line slap". When I do, it's usually because the line is twisted and needs to be untwisted & stretched (to remove twists & coils and relax/straighten out the line).

I do like the fact that a "super fast" taper is being extolled as a plus for greater shooting speed/distance. I learned that after the first couple of years of dock shooting, and was one of the main reasons I switched over to ESP rods (after field testing them against my slower action rods of the same lengths).

And to be fair ... I wasn't really thrilled with the ESP rods having split-grip/poodle tail handles, either !! But, since I was just a field tester, and not part of the designing team, I had no say in that matter ... so I tested them "as is" and gave my unbiased opinion of their performance.

Roy
07-19-2016, 04:53 AM
I want one too. 70' WOW! Has anyone on here actually gone out and measured how far they are actually shooting with their best dock shooting rod? Best I an do is around 43'.

genec
07-19-2016, 10:12 AM
ROY,MY 5 1/2 WILL DO 45 FEET AND FOUND A 6 1/2 THAT WILL DO 51 FEET BUT THAT ONE IS TOO BULKY.IT LOOKS LIKE MOST ARE SATISFIED AT THE DISTANT SO THEY REALLY HAVE NO CLUE AS TO HOW FAR THEY CAN SHOOT AND IF THAT BE THE CASE WALLY MAY HAVE MADE ROD FOR NOTHING:dono

Slab
07-19-2016, 02:58 PM
ROY,MY 5 1/2 WILL DO 45 FEET AND FOUND A 6 1/2 THAT WILL DO 51 FEET BUT THAT ONE IS TOO BULKY.IT LOOKS LIKE MOST ARE SATISFIED AT THE DISTANT SO THEY REALLY HAVE NO CLUE AS TO HOW FAR THEY CAN SHOOT AND IF THAT BE THE CASE WALLY MAY HAVE MADE ROD FOR NOTHING:dono

In my opinion, no one would ever shoot 70 ft. I believe you don't want to stress the rod out to it's max. I find that when you max a rod out, you end up hitting the boat house above where you want to shoot. You ever try extra hard and max a rod out and try to get it into that perfect spot, and you end up shooting in the completely wrong direction, usually right into a snag, or right into that metal rooftop. That's why I'd much rather use a longer rod and only spring it at say 60%, than use a shorter rod at 100%.

Roy
07-19-2016, 07:17 PM
One of the docks me and Gene fish is every bit of 80'. Water on one side is about 12', other side close to 28' with a nice break line about in the middle. Guess where the crappie like to hang out, about 40' from edge of dock about 15' deep. Can see them on the side image. Catch some around edges early in the day then they move out of range.

Roy
07-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Oh and can only fish it from the sides, no opening in the front of this floating platform.

genec
07-20-2016, 08:16 AM
THIS LOOKS LIKE THIS COULD BE A GREAT ROD FOR DISTANT,HOPE IT IS STILL LIGHT.WANT A ROD AS ROY SAID THAT WILL SHOOT EXTRA LONG DISTANT,I THINK ONE WOULD SAY THAT I AM RATHER GOOD AT SHOOTING DOCKS,CAN LOAD IT TO MAX AND NOT LOSE MUCH ACURACY,JUST WILL NOT REACH THE FISH I WOULD LOVE TO GET,OCCOARSE GETTING OLDER WILL SOON TAKE AWAY MY ABILITY TO SHOOT SOONER THAN I LIKE:banghead:dono

Alphahawk
07-20-2016, 08:55 AM
I have owned two rods with the AirWave guides...both custom made a couple of years back by a well known rod builder. The guide does eliminate rod slap but I can tell you it will not give you anymore casting distance...or dock shooting distance....in the real world. I no longer own the rods...gave them away to a kids fishing organization. The 70 feet he is getting has to come from the blank.....proper guide placement. The rods worked fine for me but as I kept looking for better rods I wound up going the JDM route so got rid of all my old rods.....but more distance I did not get.

Regards

lowe175
07-20-2016, 09:02 AM
I would have to see it to believe it. 70ft is a long way for a 1/16oz jig

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

pescador
07-20-2016, 12:11 PM
If I remember right, the late Doug Hannon, ( " The Bass Professor" ), Invented this Micro Wave Guide System a few years ago. He was a partner in this with American Tackle.

I am sure there are many reviews if you Google??

Just my opinion for distance, in addition to the rod, line, and guide system, I would think a large diameter spinning reel would a part of the equation also?? :twocents

genec
07-20-2016, 02:45 PM
WOULD HAVE TO SAY ,OUT OF THE ONES THAT PRODUCE AND SALE FISHING STUFF,I HAVE TO RESPECT HIM AS MUCH AS ANY THAT I KNOW,A FEW YEARS AGO WHEN BOBCAT'S WIFE PAST AWAY HE WENT TO FUNERAL WHICH IS IN CLARKSVILLE,VA,BUGGS ISLAND .NOT MANY WILL DO THAT,SO I BELIEVE HE DID WHAT HE SAY IT WILL DO

Roy
10-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Just got mine direct from Lew's! Can't wait to try it out. Wally's 7' Pro model has become my favorite rod, not just for dock shooting but casting and jigging as well. It can really shoot a jig a long ways without having to load the rod too much. Thanks for the advice Wally. It will be interesting to see how this newly designed rod compares. This new model (speed shooter) has several differences from the Pro model, mainly the new style air guides. I'll post a review if the hurricane stays away and lets me get on the water in the next couple of days.

Slab
10-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Just got mine direct from Lew's! Can't wait to try it out. Wally's 7' Pro model has become my favorite rod, not just for dock shooting but casting and jigging as well. It can really shoot a jig a long ways without having to load the rod too much. Thanks for the advice Wally. It will be interesting to see how this newly designed rod compares. This new model (speed shooter) has several differences from the Pro model, mainly the new style air guides. I'll post a review if the hurricane stays away and lets me get on the water in the next couple of days.

Cool, hope it does real good for you.