Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 7/13/16

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 7/13/16

Very unusual day! We launched around 7:30 am with the water at 74 degrees. Warm morning with the air at 63 degrees, increasing to over 90 by 11 am. Wind light/variable out of the south to start with. According to "WindFinder.com", NOAA and the Weather Channel, it was suppose to be a windy day! Well, they were partially correct, in that around 11 am the wind did start to kick up a bit, probably close to 15 mph. But for the first half of the morning, is was scant, and so were the crappie.

By 10:30 am we only had 30 fish (crappie & bluegill) between us. However, like I said, the wind started to kick up and by the time we pulled off at 2 pm, we had accrued a total of 109 fish with 7 being gills and the rest crappie. Not a bad catch considering the slow start.

We tried paddle tails, Roadrunners and straight tails. The first two did account for some of our catch for sure (especially the Roadrunners), but the majority of our success was due to straight tails, once again. We used mainly 1/8 oz. ball heads, although I did try some 1/16 oz. heads as well. But as the wind kicked up, you needed the heavier heads to stay down. Not many big crappie this time around either. Here's one of Walt's better fish of the day:

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  116.5 KB

We closed neck & neck with the both of us within a couple of fish of each other, so not one thing proved better than anything else. Still a very nice, relaxing day to be on a great body of water. Here's what it looked like when headed in to the launch:

Name:  End_Of_Day.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  44.9 KB

All I can say is that life is good and God Bless America.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting about your trips! I enjoy reading them.

I've only been out once this year... and reading about yours eases the frustration.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Always a pleasure gents. Thanks.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both