Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is more important - lure shape or action or a bit of both?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which is more important - lure shape or action or a bit of both?

As many on this forum know from my posts, I don't believe fish are fooled into attacking a lure based on what they think a lure is - two key words in bold. Fish react - period. What they react to has a lot to do with lure shape, action and presentation.

As I was making some lures in the basement, it occurred to me that most lures fish react to are linear in shape and whether a lure has eyes painted on (hard lures) or rear fins (Fin S Fish) is insignificant. Most important is how the lure moves and how fast it moves based on lure design limitations.

Most grubs produced have round bodies and many are segmented, giving them a bit of texture but also the appearance a bit similar to a worm of some kind. Mr. Twister and other similar grubs have been produced with that shape for decades, few anglers questioning the need.

But as of late summer of last year when I discovered a smooth bullet shape that caught everything that swims, the revelation led me to making short 2.5", smooth mini-worms, using softer plastic then that used to make most grubs - including the Fin S Fish by Lunker City. They have caught as many fish as the cone-tail grubs and proven to me that lure action matters most and that not all soft plastic designs are equal.

In the next few days, I'll put that theory to the test using a thin 2 1/4" worm rigged on a light jig head but with one difference: it will have four flat sides ending in the usual taper to the tail. The cross section is in the shape of a square - not round and the action will be no different than that of the rounded body version. Thicker grubs would most likely not work well with four flat sides seeing as how the roundness of the bullet shape body produces the waddle that is so effective at provoking fish to strike.

Lure action speaks louder than appearance much of the time and the proof will be in me catching at least a few dozen fish on a worm with four flat sides. I will report the results.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno Spoonie. I buy stuff that looks good to me. I must have real good "taste" in lures cause I catch fish with stuff I buy. Also helps to ask others "what happenin man".
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes "G", Cardsfan55, blueball, Slab, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how hungry they are!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    Depends on how hungry they are!
    they must not be hungry whenever I'm around
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes Cane Pole, Tony the Tiger LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    As many on this forum know from my posts, I don't believe fish are fooled into attacking a lure based on what they think a lure is - two key words in bold. Fish react - period. What they react to has a lot to do with lure shape, action and presentation.

As I was making some lures in the basement, it occurred to me that most lures fish react to are linear in shape and whether a lure has eyes painted on (hard lures) or rear fins (Fin S Fish) is insignificant. Most important is how the lure moves and how fast it moves based on lure design limitations.

Most grubs produced have round bodies and many are segmented, giving them a bit of texture but also the appearance a bit similar to a worm of some kind. Mr. Twister and other similar grubs have been produced with that shape for decades, few anglers questioning the need.

But as of late summer of last year when I discovered a smooth bullet shape that caught everything that swims, the revelation led me to making short 2.5", smooth mini-worms, using softer plastic then that used to make most grubs - including the Fin S Fish by Lunker City. They have caught as many fish as the cone-tail grubs and proven to me that lure action matters most and that not all soft plastic designs are equal.

In the next few days, I'll put that theory to the test using a thin 2 1/4" worm rigged on a light jig head but with one difference: it will have four flat sides ending in the usual taper to the tail. The cross section is in the shape of a square - not round and the action will be no different than that of the rounded body version. Thicker grubs would most likely not work well with four flat sides seeing as how the roundness of the bullet shape body produces the waddle that is so effective at provoking fish to strike.

Lure action speaks louder than appearance much of the time and the proof will be in me catching at least a few dozen fish on a worm with four flat sides. I will report the results.
    Include some pictures of what you catch with your report
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes huntinslabs LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used different things to catch fish, just for the heck of it. And have caught fish on the remains of a bait that was torn up and cast again anyway, just for the heck of it. So I agree that fish react when their basic interests are met, and the item fits the delivery that interests them. Good luck with the experiment and keep us posted. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Both.But if you have the Right bait,Right action and their are no fish"crappie,Bream,Bass,Walleye"The type of fish" in the spot,lake,river then it does not matter.Finding The fish"crappie" you are trying to catch or fishing where the fish are is more important.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes "G", slackline LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

So I agree that fish react when their basic interests are met, and the item fits the delivery that interests them.
    Please elucidate.

Could be fish think 'food' when they attack a lure or could be they simply attack when provoked. Lure characteristics (not any realistic appearance or action) that provoke are sensory-basic (visual / lateral line) from what I've experienced regardless of fish species. If most fish were hungry when they attacked and missed a lure, wouldn't it stand to reason that they would attack it again? Most did not on the second cast after the initial bump.

Here are the test baits:

Lure action for the above is the same as for round worms and fish that may attacks these lures do not have an eye for detail.
    Two other pretty unrealistic looking designs that always work once fish are found:

Last edited by Spoonminnow; 07-09-2016 at 11:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'd suggest that nothing works "always". Which is why so many plastic designs and styles are currently on the market. Catching crappie, just like with any other fish, is predicated upon depth & speed control. After those criteria are met, then presentation, action and color enter into the picture.

I have found that straight tailed plastics (i.e.: BGBS) are my most consistent producer, under a wide variety of conditions. The seemingly lack of "action" in these bodies is indicative of the crappie's main forage - minnows. They rarely move with the erratic action of either curly or paddle tails. But every day on the water is certainly different and you must carry a variety of lures in order to "give the fish what they want" on a daily basis. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that straight tailed plastics (i.e.: BGBS) are my most consistent producer, under a wide variety of conditions. The seemingly lack of "action" in these bodies is indicative of the crappie's main forage - minnows. They rarely move with the erratic action of either curly or paddle tails.
    The bullet shaped grub in the last picture as well as the tail end of a thin plastic worm always exhibit action, subtle as it is. One slightly waddles/glides; the other twitches/whips and wiggles - both actions with no rod action imparted except through an angler's involuntary muscle twitches and wave action (if present).

Animals of many species are very sensitive to subtle movements of living or artificial objects. Granted, poppers on the surface can generate some slamn' hits, but generally a fish's environment is muted by human standards, but as busy as rush hour via a fish's amplifying senses. Anglers who do best keep this in mind a majority of the time and assume fish activity levels are at the low end, needing only to be tweaked higher by finesse action and presentation.

Granted, there is a tiny percentage of my outings that produce less fish per hour than others, but if anyone starts catching fish next to me, I will generally keep up if not surpass that angler's catch rate - at least for pan fish. (Bass are a different story.)

The nice thing about using artificial lures is the huge variety of subtle-action lures fish will hit. But as with most lures, there is a time and place for even generally less productive baits - many that I thought fish would never strike (IE the Joker). Fish don't have motives for striking but are motivated nonetheless.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast