Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Newbie crank question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie crank question

I am going to give crank baits a try and have a question. It seems most people pull cranks vs push them from the posts I read. Is there an advantage to pulling vs pushing? One advantage for pushing would be easier to control depths or so it seems to me. Any advice, thoughts or opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes depth control is a little easier....also you can make tighter turns. Name:  Screenshot_2015-05-30-08-04-55_resized.png
Views: 315
Size:  128.4 KB
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only advantage I can think of for "pulling" cranks ... is that you CAN stop your forward motion, if not using any weight on your line or lipless cranks, and not send your cranks to the bottom or the cover that you're trolling over.

Most around my neck of the woods "push" & "pull" with at least 2oz of weight ahead of the crank. That gives them a shorter length of line out to reach a specific depth, than without weights ... but, at the expense of potentially losing a crank to a hangup or large fish. They're also less likely to have a fish come off, if lightly hooked, by not having to reel in 100+ feet of line.
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think pulling has a better catch ratio than pushing. On a limit of 30 fish per boat I might get 2 or 3 pushing. I believe its from the boat spooking them.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA