Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New boat decisions need some advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default New boat decisions need some advice

I'm looking at a few options in a new boat and want some advice and experienced opinions. I currently have a tracker pro165 which is a great boat but looking for more room. I have been considering a 18ft bass buggy pontoon which definitely has room to spare but never fished on a pontoon and I'm concerned with maneuverability and trailering. Also looked at the new ranger 188 and the tracker txw195. Looking for some feedback and maybe other options I haven't explored yet.
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to get a new aluminum boat towards the end of this year or one during the January boat show when you get the best deals (I think). I want a Ranger RT188C (lower casting deck crappie version) but it doesn't have dual console (wife needs the wind protection lol). Looked at the RT188 bass version but it has a problem for me. I need to put my Ulterra on it for trolling and the RT188 is made with a recessed tray in the casting deck which wouldn't work with an Ulterra. Plus I want a lower deck than what's on the RT188 bass version.

I am also looking close at the War Eagle 861 Predator. I really like the lower deck but not sure about the limited area in it. I need to fish out of one before I could buy one. I think I would really like it but not sure.

I also like the tracker except I believe the quality is less than the Ranger and War Eagle. Plus I don't like the way the back of the boat sits low in the water and the front rises up pretty high. Probably need to look at one on the water. I hear it is a stable boat due to it's width.

That is were I am at the moment.
    Likes Pelpalace LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at the xpress hyper lift hull boats too. Best riding tin boat I've been in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2016 Lowe stinger ST 195, lots of room, love the boat, has two live wells.
    Likes Pelpalace LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to have one of all, but, my garage is full.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tncrappiebass View Post
    I am going to get a new aluminum boat towards the end of this year or one during the January boat show when you get the best deals (I think). I want a Ranger RT188C (lower casting deck crappie version) but it doesn't have dual console (wife needs the wind protection lol). Looked at the RT188 bass version but it has a problem for me. I need to put my Ulterra on it for trolling and the RT188 is made with a recessed tray in the casting deck which wouldn't work with an Ulterra. Plus I want a lower deck than what's on the RT188 bass version.

I am also looking close at the War Eagle 861 Predator. I really like the lower deck but not sure about the limited area in it. I need to fish out of one before I could buy one. I think I would really like it but not sure.

I also like the tracker except I believe the quality is less than the Ranger and War Eagle. Plus I don't like the way the back of the boat sits low in the water and the front rises up pretty high. Probably need to look at one on the water. I hear it is a stable boat due to it's width.

That is were I am at the moment.
    I have a '12 Tracker 175tf(they used to be called the ProCrappie) and love it. Other than a wiring issue (Mercury problem not Tracker) with the power trim, the quality seems quite good. It only rides nose high when it is sitting still with no one on the front deck. I can fish 3 across the front and it is extremely stable and has plenty of room.
    If it's to deep to stand up and there is to much to drink, WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only speak for the express hull. I have a 18ft with hyper lift hull. Feel free to pm any questions. Been asked not to discuss on open forums
    Likes deltabound, Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like my 16' deep v. It meets 85% of my requirements. That other 15% goes to a pontoon. Hard to beat a floating raft. As for boat control in a toon. All in the operator. Last weekend I was fishing with a buddy of mine. There were 5 of us on his 24' pontoon. We all stood on one corner and fished a 3' diameter circle to catch crappie. That isn't going to happen in any other boat. He trailers that toon everywhere. In fact, it is his guide boat. He guides on numerous lakes most weekends of the year, all from a 24' pontoon. He used to guide out of a 16' deep v, but the pontoon has tons more room for people, gear, storage, etc. Hard to beat a toon.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at the 21ft War Eagle Blackhawk paired with 150 4 Stroke. Lots of features, very economical vs fiberglass and easy to pull.

Post Thanks / Like

A fishing partner and work cohort just bought a used deck boat a month or so ago. I have not got to fish out of it yet but look forward to it. I guess you could say it is a boat,pontoon cross. It also uses it for family boating outings. We have been so busy at work and with family events I have not had a chance to go but first break I get I am going to load up with him and see how that thing fishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast