Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to spinning reels

RockMan Guest

Default new to spinning reels

Hello everyone, i'm one of the new boy's here. I have fished all my life from the bank. Last year I bought a Bass Tracker and started learning all over. One of the first things I noticed with the boat fishermen was they all used spinning reels. (and baitcasters) I've always used spincast reels. I have recently bought 2 spinning reels and a baitcaster. I am sure I will get used to both types, but I question why use either type when a Zebco 11, Zebco 33, or Zebco Omega will catch fish, and are much simpler to use. Can everyone explain the advantages of these type reels?
    Thanks...

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Zebco 33 Gold, Platninum and Omega. If you are good with them, stick with them. Take the baitcaster back. Keep one spinning reel just for fun. Keep it in the house. Every other month, put fresh line on it. Then tie on a jig. Hold rod tip up, let jig fall to floor. Lower rod tip while watching loose line. If line coils/kinks up, put rod in corner for 60 days. Then strip all line off and repeat.

Nothing you can't catch with the reels you have been using.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Generally you can buy better quality spinning reels than spin cast and you don't have the little hole to make any drag on the line when casting. Also many times a spin cast type reel will get a burr and cut you line. Spinning reels are just better and more versatile.

Now met me give you a tip using one that will save you lots of grief. Make sure you put the line on in the right direction! Then from time to time you may get a loop coming off you spool. When this happens never flip your bail, just loosen the drag and pull the line off with your hand until the look disappears.

I am sure you will get more recommendations and just do what is best for you.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

This sums up my thoughts on spinning reels.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...t=stove+dayton

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger690
    This sums up my thoughts on spinning reels.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...t=stove+dayton

Dayton
    That's pretty funny stuff there.

I like them but I have been using them for about 40 years at least. Once use to them and learn the little tricks they are great IMHO. I know a lot of people don't like them for many reasons, but when you see any professional or experience fishermen on TV or Bass Masters, they all use spinning reels when it applies.

They are not really all that hard to get use to.

Like I said I am sure you will find what is best for you.

Peak Vise Dealer

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

To avoid back lashes with the spinning rod only fill the spool about 3/4 full of line. No switching hands after casting the spinning rod. As mentioned, a better drag on the spinning reel. You'll find with a little practice that you can be more accurate with your casts too.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no reason you need to switch away from spincast's if you like them. They are fine reels.

I've used spinning reels all my life, but I started out on a zebco 202, and caught a ton of fish on it. The advantages of spinning gear are they generally cast longer, have better drags and are built to take more punishment. Its more of a hands on method and is more versatile. You won't find too many experienced anglers using spincasts unless they are taking kids fishing because they are so easy to use.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 02-12-2007 at 04:04 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Default spinning reels

They are very simple and straight forward. The hardest part is putting on line yourself without getting twist in it. I recomend making a contraption to spin you spool to put line on. Stay with light line and you should be fine.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

OK one more thing, putting line on; all you do is have the spool it's coming off of facing your reel and after a few turns of the Handel point the tip of your rod to the spool of line to see if it twist a lot and if it does just turn the spool over. Most line come with where if the label is facing you reel it is right, but at times that is not true. That is why you always give some slack after a few turns at the beginning.

It's not hard to learn.

Peak Vise Dealer

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation RockMan ...

(especially for casting purposes) ...
    One of the biggest advantages of some spinning reels, over some spincast reels ... is line spool diameter/width/length. This allows the line to come off in longer lengths, making for more casting distance. The drag systems are usually much better, and more smooth. On smaller spincast reels, as on the very small spinning reels, the small line arbor/spool will cause line memory to be in very small coils. This cuts down on casting distance, and makes line twists more of a problem. The retrieve rate of a spinning reel is usually greater than that of a spincast reel, too.

Even so ... if you're comfortable with spincasts, continue to use them. I use all three, in various circumstances ... and have no trouble switching from one to another. You'll eventually get to be the same way, once you get a little experience time with the new reels. ..... luck2ya ... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast