Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sickle hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default sickle hooks

Okay guys, I am not exactly new to fishing, and do own a few sickle worm hooks. But what is the advantage of them, especially for crappie. Did I mention I learn S L O W. I like a lighter hook that i can pull loose most of the time when i get hung.

Post Thanks / Like

I like them because they are a fine wire and pull free of snags relatively well, and I like the wider gap. I get lots of really good hooksets with them. Another plus is that the wider gap allows me to use big fat baits and still have a lot of point and barb available
    Likes skeetbum, DaveB40 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's very basic. First they are sharp as any and stay sharp. Then most of the time the crappie is hooked in the roof of his mouth with a Sickle so you loose less fish. Last by not least being this sharp is the only hook this sharp for this price! I know Eagle Claw came out with their Li'l Nasty, but they are a little different and they generally are not as sharp IMHO!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes skeetbum, DaveB40 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like them because like skip sez they are basically VERY sharp .....
    some claim fish stay on them better as well ....
    beyond that I can buy them by the hundred pretty cheap as well compared to off the shelf prices
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Having tried them for the first time, I was impressed. So much so that I bought 7000 in different sizes and began pouring my own. I have landed fish over 2lbs on a #6 hook because it was in the roof of the mouth. I never got those results with round bend hooks. #4 and #2 get a lot of play these days and some of what I bought I traded off, mostly the small ones, and the #1's were just too big for how I fish, but some guys love em. I do use some 1's in the bigger jigs I used in the colder months in TN but have since moved. Once the change is made, I don't think you'll go back. I can take 50 regular hooks in a pile and poke my finger into them 5 or 6 times and not get stuck, but do the same with the sickle's and I'll have several points into the finger doing the poking. I'll tell you what, I feel so strongly about this that if you PM me your address and common sizes that you use, I'll send you a few of each to try out at my expense. Look forward to hearing from you......Skeet
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Red190, DaveB40 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like their sticky sharpness as well. However, with their curved/beaked point, it makes it difficult to thread plastics on and get them straight. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sharp period and stay sharp.We have found the Matzou hook's the best on the trout water's sharp and stay sharp even after a day of catching fish after fish.Dragging through rock's .The short barb is the ticket in the Bar-bless trout zone's.On our trout water's.The trout folks are gobbling them up!!For Crappie we use the lil nasty's they are shaped more like a circle hook "great for kid's" who need a little extra to set the hook.The Matzuo's go trout fishing.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Switched to the Lil Nasty 2 years ago won't go back! Performance period, loosing less fish at the boat.
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to impose, but will they straighten out at all if u get hung and if so can u bend them back well enough to continue using??

Post Thanks / Like

They do straighten out on limbs and hang-ups, and do bend back.

I like the acute angle at the bend of the hook and think than when you get a fish hooked and bury the hook to that tight bend, there is less of a chance the fish can throw the hook. Less wiggle room on that tight bend than there is on a round bend hook.

I use them from sizes #2-#8
    Likes DaveB40 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast