Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing weights for cranks...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Storing weights for cranks...

I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to store my 3 oz crank weights without it coming undone each time and in knots the next time I go to use them. Currently using the 3 oz weights Scott V makes and just wrapping the line around them, then putting them in a tackle tray with individual spots. Problem is they typically loosen up during transport and if they don't, when I do pull them out the line lets loose and gets all tangled up if you aren't super careful when you pull them out to use.

I know some just store them on the poles when they are done for the day but I use the same poles (14 ft Ozarks) for pushing cranks and also slow trolling jigs/minnows, so I like to take the weights off each time. Anyone that has a good system for storing these I would greatly appreciate the feedback and pictures would be great if you have them. Thanks in advance

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a snap swivel on my main line from the reel to the weight, a swivel from the weight on my leader to another swivel at my bait. I take the weight off and store it in the box with my push cranks. I wrap my leaders on a piece of swimming pool noodle or pipe insulation to keep them stored.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes wilbur, trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Same as mrdux!! I attach 2 or3oz weight to main swivel then run my 2' Leader with another swivel for Jigs or cranks. Works great! You can push or pull with same rigs. I do use a larger swivel on main line.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can take a pool noodle and cut it down to 6-8" pieces ... then take a knife and cut down one side all the way in to the center hole ... then take zip ties and put a couple around the noodle section. That way, you can leave the trolling weight and leader line connected, then just sink the trolling weight into the cut and wrap the leader around the outside of the noodle and then stick your open swivel or snap into the noodle to secure it. My buddy, Chucky, does something similar to that with his rigs. He uses the larger pool noodles (3").
    Likes "G", theygotaeat LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is what you need. Weight goes in middle and wrap leader around out side.
    Rigrap 8524 Orange 2 Pack No More Tangled Rigs 3 15"x 2 2"x 95" | eBay

The Orange is what you need. Yellow is to small for the big weights. Found mine at Aademy on sale like buck a 2 pack.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling weight storage method

I cut small foam tubing the length of the weights. insert the weights and then wrap electrical tape on ends with slight pressure to hold weights. only have to wrap the tape one time as it will keep the tension after that. after inserting weights, i take the leader and wrap around the tubing and tuck the end swivel behind line. When I use weight i just untuck swivel and the weighted tube holder will automatically unwind and while i have the swivel in hand i then attach a crank bait and lay it aside. I then pull out weight and attach to the main line and place rig in the water. I put up just the opposite. I have a small ammo can with the wrapped weights. I use a sharpe to put the weight size on the outside of the rigged foam, i.e 4 or 3 or 2 oz.

Not sure if this is the best way but it is the way i figured out and have become accustomed too.

Name:  IMG_0810.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  68.5 KB

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 3 way swivel rig and put a split ring and duo lock snap on the weight so I can remove them without leaders. All my leaders have duo locks on each end so I can coil them loose and store in a sandwich bag. Works good for me so far.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Here is what you need. Weight goes in middle and wrap leader around out side.
    Rigrap 8524 Orange 2 Pack No More Tangled Rigs 3 15"x 2 2"x 95" | eBay

The Orange is what you need. Yellow is to small for the big weights. Found mine at Aademy on sale like buck a 2 pack.
    Cray you are the man as usual!! Would love to find some of those....I think that would work perfect!! The ones you found at Academy...were they the same name brand? Because I can't seem to locate them on their site. I am a good hour or so from the closest Academy so might be a while before I get that way. I like the sound of a buck or two per pack!!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesraider View Post
    Cray you are the man as usual!! Would love to find some of those....I think that would work perfect!! The ones you found at Academy...were they the same name brand? Because I can't seem to locate them on their site. I am a good hour or so from the closest Academy so might be a while before I get that way. I like the sound of a buck or two per pack!!
    Those I got were exactly the same as the picture. If you do a search they pop up on EBay, Amazon, and several tackle stores. Couldn't find any cheap as I got mine but will keep looking.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I found the RigRaps at Walmart on clearance for $3 per pack. That's for 4 of the thinner yellow ones or a pack of the orange thick ones come in two's. I have seen them at other wally worlds not on clearance so I guess it depends on the store.

I am not sure a 3 oz weight will fit in the bigger orange ones. 2 oz probably. I use the smaller ones for my walleye rigs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast