Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hummingbird Matrix17 or 565?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hummingbird Matrix17 or 565?

Which unit do you guys think is the better one?

Also, the Matrix 17 says that it can be attached to a gps. Can I hook my E-trex Legend (handheld) to it?

Thanks guys

p

Post Thanks / Like

They are basically the same unit except you can add other peripheries, like GPS to the Matrix. They are both dual frequency and you may not be able to select one or the other - narrow or wide - on either of them. For the way I fish I much prefer a single, narrow cone angle. I think you get a clearer picture and when you see something come on the screen you know right were it is - directly under your transducer - unless you are in very deep water. I use a Matrix 12, which is basically the same as the 525. It is a single, 20-degree (narrow) trandsducer and I can easily see a 1/16th-ounce jig and identify fish that are down in our bamboo condos.

I believe you can connect your Etrex Legend to the Matrix units but I'm not sure what the advantage would be. I use a Map76 handheld in a Marine Mount next to my graph so I can see them both right in front of me while I'm hovering over our condos.

It depends on how you fish but if you use both sonar and GPS at the same time I think it's better to have two separate screens or a large enough screen that you can display the GPS on one side and still have enough screen left to properly display sonar readings.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 565 and I like it pretty good...

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of each. They are both very good units, but my preference leans toward the Matrix 17
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I have the MAtrix 27 and you are correct in saying you can hook you GPS to it. (You have to buy the extra cable) But I'm with Jerry, if you can have 2 screens you will be better off. I have mine set up as Jerry does, beside each other, that way if I want to utilize the whole screen for searching structure I dont sacrifice dividing my Matrix screen. The Matrix seems to be a very good finder with plenty of adjustments and has a very good picture. I also can see a 1/16 jig as it enters the cover below.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, thanks for the advice!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 565 and I have not been able to see my jig while fishing. How do you guys have yours set up to be able to see the jig. I know they advertise this for this unit but I just haven't been able to adjust mine to where I can see a jig. That is the main reason I bought this unit. Any help would be appreciated.

LRM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LRM58
    I have a 565 and I have not been able to see my jig while fishing. How do you guys have yours set up to be able to see the jig. I know they advertise this for this unit but I just haven't been able to adjust mine to where I can see a jig. That is the main reason I bought this unit. Any help would be appreciated.

LRM
    Hey LRM:

First you need to be sure your jig is within the view of the transducer. If your transducer is on the back of the boat and you're in the front of the boat fishing straight down your jig won't be where the graph can "see" it until it gets really deep. With a dual angle graph you'll probably need to be in the narrow cone angle which is a pretty small area, roughly only about 5-feet in diameter at 15-feet deep.

Second you need to have your sensitivity set high enough so the returns from the jig will show up on your screen. Third you need to know what you are looking for. If you hold your jig at the same depth all you are going to see is a solid line going across your screen just like a fish that stays in the view of your transducer without changing depth will appear so you need to move your jig up and down.

Once you identify your jig on your graph you'll want to reduce your sensitivity so it barely shows up as a faint line when you move it up and down.

This thread may help you some more - http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=27679 - or it may just confuse you more.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lrm58

I have had a 565 for about 9 months now. Shows fish,baitfish,bottom contour & underwater weeds but I have never been able to see my jig. It is annoying that they advertise you can see your jig. Apparently some of the units are not as sensitive as others. Except for the jig thing I am satisfied with the unit.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see my jig on my eagle 320. Dont be afraid to turn your sensitivity up. Or try a heavier jig and see if that helps. I use 1/16 and it shows up nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast