Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throttle cable

Post Thanks / Like

Default Throttle cable

Hopefully someone can help me out here. I'm looking for a cable that goes to my throttle lever from the outboard. Long story short the cable inside of my throttle lever cracked ( cheap plastic ) so whenever I try to give it a little , it doesn't do anything and there is no tension on my throttle handle. I tried googling Johnson 25 throttle cable but it has only given me the one right on the outside of the motor.
    Does anyone know what the name is to the cable that would go to a throttle lever in a stick steer set up?

Post Thanks / Like

It should not matter if it is stick steer, the control box should be standard for the motor.
    The long cables are called control cables. Try Googling Johnson 25 HP control cable.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

That does pull up the correct cables. Maybe my problem isn't the cable but the throttle lever itself. There is a plastic piece that sits inside that I guess creates the tension on the cable to allow it to have more or less throttle. With this plastic piece snapped there is no tension.

Post Thanks / Like

check out schematic at omc's website, and look at the midsection. then you can find the part you seeks correct name. search from there for your part. look for why it broke too. you mite have another issue, that caused it to fail.

Post Thanks / Like

I will look there for sure. It broke mainly because it's an old piece of Chinese plastic that wore out over time and a sudden push on the throttle cracked the plastic. I figured if the part is hard to find or too expensive I'll "weld" the plastic together and then lay some copper/ aluminum strips on it to reinforce the plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

I will look there for sure. It broke mainly because it's an old piece of Chinese plastic that wore out over time and a sudden push on the throttle cracked the plastic. I figured if the part is hard to find or too expensive I'll "weld" the plastic together and then lay some copper/ aluminum strips on it to reinforce the plastic.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't be too hard to find a used one. I would do that before I went welding and hoping not to have to revisit it again later. Just my 2 cents.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

In the link below on the right side choose Johnson Evinrude Accessories & Kits

Then choose your year - then your horsepower - then Remote Controls - then Remote Control Single Motor .

This will give you an exploded view of the Remote with part numbers for all the internals. Find your part and then Google the number, as Marine Engine is not the least expensive place to get the part, though they do have a wonderful online parts look-up.

Johnson Parts

Below is a parts breakdown for a 1985 Evinrude/Johnson control for a 25HP.

Example
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

On the last choice you may have to chose Single Lever Remote control if that is the type you have.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks all for the help.

Clint that website was sent from god...that got me exactly what I needed. Single remote control on a 25 1980 johnson part #25 was the exact part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast