Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; Quabbin Res., 7/2/16

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; Quabbin Res., 7/2/16

Been a long couple of weeks since we've last been out on the water. With lousy weather, doctor's appointments (tough getting old!) and yard work, we finally said enough is enough! We launched at 7:15 am. Air was a brisk 53 degrees with the water at 72 degrees. Wind out of the west, huffing at 10 - 20 mph at times. Gave us a great drift pattern across the main basin, over 22' of water. Here's a shot of what the sonar looked like most of the day:

Name:  21_Feet.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  52.4 KB

First fish came over the gunnels at 7:25 am. From then on it was hot & heavy action through the morning. First 3 hours, we averaged 25/hour. Ending with a total for 135 for the day when we pulled off at 2 pm in the afternoon.

Here's the tally sheet for the day. With BG = Bluegill and RB = Rainbow trout. My count & Walt's count are shown as well:

Name:  Tally Sheet.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  74.2 KB

We did not get any giants this time around, but most were very decent crappie and bluegill. And even two nice rainbow trout thrown in the mix. All were released. Here are some pics starting with mine:

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  103.8 KB

Name:  Rich_3.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  Rich_4.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  98.1 KB

And now here's a few from Walter's catch today:

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  120.8 KB

Name:  Walt_2.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  117.0 KB

Name:  Walt_3.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  115.6 KB

Due to the strong breeze/wind, we opted for heavier 1/8 oz. jig heads, Dressed with a variety of styles and colors. Most effective, once again, were the straight tails, in just about any color pattern you'd care to toss out there. Caught a few on Roadrunners and paddle tails, but for whatever reason, the paddles didn't produce as well today. Also of note is that I threw a bag of Mister Twister Helgrammites in my tackle. Dressed the black helgies on the same 1/8 oz. ball heads. Produced a bunch of fine crappie for me today! You really ought to look at these plastics. They produce - period!

Didn't get to see much in the way of wildlife today. A couple of turkeys on the ride in and that was about it. However, we were pretty busy with catchin' today, as opposed to lookin', if you know what I mean! Sitting here sipping my first beer after unloading the car. Life is GOOD!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Great report and pictures too..how long were the trout? Thanks for posting the report
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    Great report and pictures too..how long were the trout? Thanks for posting the report
    Just average sized stockies, around 15".
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report fellas
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic report, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great time.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Rich, you and Walt are living large my friends. God has blessed you with each other and great fishing. Heaven on earth.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both