Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Snelled hooks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Snelled hooks?

I don't believe I have ever used any but see them all the time. What are the benefits to using the snelled hooks I see in wal mart that are pre tied?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A snell is a very strong connection. Instead of just tying the line to the eye of the hook, you're making it part of the shank.

If you run the line through the eye before you snell, there will be a slight angle between the hook and the line. This aids in hooking (which is why snelled hooks are standard for most of the self-hooking carp rigs.)
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like to snell my own hooks they seem to help in hooking themselves in fish when I am not looking at my poles to set the hook myself. Like deathb4disco said the slight angle that the line pulls the hook helps in setting the hook. Youtube shows several ways to snell your own hooks and a snelled hook has no knots to weaken the line strength. They also look real good if nothing else.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

What all of the above guys said. I once had someone ask me the same question.

I tied a regular fishing knot on a hook with 6lb test and another hook with a snell. The regular tied hook broke right at the eye (with force from me hands) whereas I actually couldn't break the other knot with just the force of my hands.
    I learned to tie this knot from my dad who learned how to tie it from a one armed man (no kidding). There are several variations that produce similar results. I tie 2 and three hook snells for crawler harnesses.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

A snelled hook is much less prone to breakage than direct eye tying. The stress is spread out much more, over the wraps, as opposed to a one point tie. You just have to practice tying them.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I use snelled hooks when fishing for catfish. They are usually gut-hooked so I just unclip the snap and toss them in the cooler hook and all. I get them back when I fillet them out.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess they are for larger fish and not panfish the ?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thabugman View Post

Nah ... they're OK for panfish. I think I may even have a pkg of them with trout hooks (#12 ??) and I know I've seen them with #4 & #6 hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thabugman View Post
    You can definitely use them for panfish. Snelling is very common in Europe using very small "panfish" hooks. They snell very tiny hooks down to about a #28.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got some in my tackle box, never used them. I have snelled hooks onto the line myself though. I never got the pretied snell concept. I get that a snell is stronger than a knot, but if there is another knot tied 8" up the line in a loop knot to be attached to the main line by a snap swivel tied on by another knot, whats the point? Seems like youve just traded one weak knot at the hook for two weak knots (at the loop on the pretoed snell and the snap swivel).

I guess ill stick to snelling my own hooks.