Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Arkansas/ Sunday morning report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello from Arkansas/ Sunday morning report

First off I'd like to say hello to the Crappie.com community from Rogers, AR. I've been lurking the site for a few weeks and decided to join in on the fun.

A little about myself, I'm 27 and originally from Texas, grew up in a small town by the name of Caddo Mills. I now reside in Northwest Arkansas since moving up here for college in 07. I work as a mechanical engineer and help design/build packaging machines. I've been a bass fisherman most of my life, and fished on the UofA team during my college career, but have sort of burned out on the tournament scene. I decided that I wanted to diversify myself as an angler and that crappie would be a good (delicious) place to start. I've mostly fished jigs and minnows in brush piles on the occasion I did go crappie fishing. This winter I was watching some crappie shows on youtube and stumbled across spider rigging and instantly wanted to give that a shot. I got rigged up with all my new equipment back in April and have only managed to go out a couple of times, and have gone solo both times, but I can tell you it's a blast when those rods start bending. I picked up quite a bit of knowledge off of this site that undoubtedly saved me days and hours of frustration through trial and error. For that thank you.

Now to the report: I got up early and pointed my rig towards Beaver Lake. Was idling into the marina as they were opening, around 5:30, got a few dozen minnows and ran up river. Graphed a flat that dumps off into the main creek channel and there were several schools of fish at 10-16' holding in 20 FOW. Got the boat turned around and started setting out rods. Before I even had all 4 poles in the water I had my first bite, a 13" white crappie. The next 2 hours were non stop, mostly 8-9 1/2" crappie but fun none the less. I was wishing at several times that I had enlisted a deck hand to help with rebating and untangling. About 9:30 it started getting pretty warm and the fishing had slowed. By that time I was running low on minnows and decided to set the last few free and take it to the house. All said and done I would up with 10 keeper crappie, shortest of them being 10 1/2" long, and 1 Kentucky that I decided to keep for what he had done to my rig. I was fishing a c&c style rig with 1/2oz weight with a minnow on top and a 1/16oz jig head and jig/curltail on bottom. I'm still working on how to minimize the tangles but still catching a lot of fish and having plenty of fun. Didn't take a lot of pictures because it was pretty hectic but here is one of my catch and one at an attempt on a 4 fish hold while they are still live and kickin.
    Name:  image1 (1).JPG
Views: 360
Size:  52.7 KBName:  image2 (1).JPG
Views: 387
Size:  47.2 KB

Thanks again for all the free advice and look forward to joining in on the conversations and continuing to learn.

ozarkangler88
    Likes theygotaeat, RMGeorge, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from South Central Mississippi. Wow! Get the grease hot! Nice crappie. Thanks for sharing the fishing report and pictures.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

great report

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site, and what a great report!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from North 'ssippi and congrats a nice catch. Good to see some younger folks in the family along with alot of Gezeers!
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes" Unknown

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Central Florida. You officially have been bitten by the crappie bug, and I'm sorry for what follows. You'll never be the same.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. Welcome

Luvfatslabs is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard and nice report
    Good luck and good fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I'm definitely addicted. Just wish I could go more often. Already trying to make a plan to add 3 across seating to my front deck along with another rod holder so I can get some help out there haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast