Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use any of the electric hand-held fish scalers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody use any of the electric hand-held fish scalers?

Was watching them catch crappie on tv last night and when they went to clean them, they had an electric handheld fish scaler. It was called Bear Claw I believe. Looked them up online and they are expensive at about $160. Looked like they did a great job on tv. There are cheaper clones out there as well. Anybody every used one and if so how much does it help? We do some fishing at the coast also and when you really get into them there, you can be scaling them for hours. I know you can filet them, but I really light the taste of the crispy skin when I fry fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the Mister twister EZ scaler, works good.
    Jig & Ellie are my green headed corn grinder finders.

R.I.P Jig dog
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As deadeye said, can't beat mister twisters EZ scaler.

Post Thanks / Like

1500psi pressure washer. Or even at the car wash. A second or 2 on each side with blow em off and clean em up good! But I do like the idea of the barrel tumblers. Those look sweet. If i didn't have a pressure washer I would have a barrel tumbler.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LowePro View Post
    1500psi pressure washer. Or even at the car wash. A second or 2 on each side with blow em off and clean em up good! But I do like the idea of the barrel tumblers. Those look sweet. If i didn't have a pressure washer I would have a barrel tumbler.
    Do you clamp there tails in the mat holders.
    Jig & Ellie are my green headed corn grinder finders.

R.I.P Jig dog
    Likes Blackhawk19, Snubby, river scum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a Bear Claw scaler for as long as I can remember. Used to always take them to Canada because you were required to bring your fish back identifiable. Scaling the fish left them this way. Plus, we liked the skin. I still own the same two units my dad and grandfather purchased back in the early 80's. Used one not to long ago on a batch of perch. I had no idea that they had gone up in price that much. I can tell you they are made in Michigan by a pretty awesome company. Like I said, the better part of 35 years and still going strong.

That should be a good testimonial to how well they are/where made and how well they work and last.

We used to have a clamp that went into the fishes mouth. It had a long rod and then a wooden handle and a clamp that came down around the jaw or nose of the fish. That worked best for panfish. We clamped the tails too.

Drum scalers are great but can also get a bit pricey as well. The best thing I have found is a bucket scaler. They are made out of a 5 gallon bucket with grates in them. They were off the market for a long time but I have seen them come back recently. I purchased another one a few years back. They were originally built to grind horseradish.

You put about 25 to 35 fish in the bucket, put water in it and hook a variable speed electric drill to the shaft that runs out the top of the pale. Run it for a few minutes and check it. It takes a little time to get the speed and timing down, but once you have it you can do 100 fish in pretty short order.

Last place I saw them was in "Jay's Sporting Goods" in Clare Michigan.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely scale fish but when I do I use a cake mix paddle in a drill. Works crazy fast and easy. Just keep your fingers out of the way!

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
    Likes river scum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

ill have to try that beater paddle! bet that does work! shoot, chuck it in the die grinder!!!!!!! lmao no pls. dont anyone do that!!

anyone ever try a air nozzle?

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered the Mr. Twister today to try. Like the fact that you can use the same tool to scale and cut up the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a basket type thing that you put the fish in then pull them behind the boat. It scales them and gets rid of the scales in the water. If it worked it would be handy. Anybody ever use them?
    It is what it is!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast