Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crankbait question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crankbait question

I heard that some people pull and push crankbaits with the front hook removed to reduce snags. Anyone on here do that?
    Likes kristopher612 LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that too, but I personally need all the hooks I can get.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I change the back treble out for a bigger one....but no....I do not . Remove any hooks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to take a crankbait, hold it by the attachment point or bill, and let the trebles hang along the bait. The hook on the front treble that hung down AWAY from the body of the lure was clipped off. This left 3 hooks on the rear treble and 2 on the one closest to the line attachment. Keep in mind, this was from the time our main trolling baits were the original Bombers, Hellbenders, etc. There were times the rear hook was removed and replaced with a leader that a Roostertail or curly tail body on a jighead was added for white bass or sauger.

I used to use a huge crank like a Manns Stretch 30, remove all the hooks, and use it as the means of getting 2-3 curlytail jig bodies on bare hooks above the crank down to where the whites and sauger were located. It wasn't unusual to dig bottom in 25-30 feet of water with such a rig.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff