Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; Quabbin, 6/22/16

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; Quabbin, 6/22/16

It's been tough trying to co-ordinate time available with the weather folks these days. Seemed like it was going to be a decent day today, so Walt & I launched around 7:30 am. Air was a brisk 51 degrees when we launched and only rose to the low 70's by the time we pulled off.

Water temp was 67 degrees, which to us means that the main crappie schools have located themselves in a suspended position over the main basin, feeding on roaming forage schools. It was literally dead calm for the first half of the morning, which required us to cast and/or troll. We did both and scored relatively consistently until the "hurricane" kicked in around 10:30 am. We had a few unexpected visitors to boot:

Name:  Deer.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  53.0 KB

Not a great photo. Distance was too far. And approaching scattered them off, but still nice to see. We even experienced a few sprinkles from time to time during the morning. But the wind got to be ridiculous, which prompted us to pull off around 1 pm. We managed 81 fish today; the majority being crappie, with a good number bluegill (18) thrown into the mix. I even got two nice rainbow trout - which love straight tailed plastics btw! Here are a few of our fish:

Name:  Walt_4.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  Walt_2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  91.7 KB

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  123.7 KB

Not a bad morning on the water. I will say this however. It was unusual to experience the "tentative" bites we had once the wind kicked in. Sometimes you'd get hit 3 or 4 times before actually catching a crappie. Like they were "testing" the offering, more so than ever before. Not sure if this is going to be a consistent trend, but it bears watching.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

As always, a totally enjoyable post with great pics. Nice trout.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report guys
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report!!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!