Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Animal Encounters on the water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Animal Encounters on the water

This past weekend I had a wild turkey fly over the boat going to other side of lake. She made it to other side of lake no problem, I see that occasionally. Then I saw something flying at me out of the corner of my eye. A baby turkey was trying to follow its mama and landed on my tolling rack. It scared me a first to see a fuzzy puff ball with a beak flying straight at you. Then by the time I realized what it was it had already took back off and was back onto the bank. Sure was interesting!
    Likes "D", Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I have ever had that happen. I did get to watch a pair of otters hunt right in front of my boat. I never realized how swift and agile they are in the water. It was pretty cool to see them blow bubbles to try to flush out the bluegills. I have also seen deer swimming across the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this on the KY forum but ran across this big timber rattler a few weeks ago. I see snakes all the time on the water but this was my first rattler. Hard to tell the size from the pic but I don't think I couldn't have fit two hands around it and touched fingers at it's thickest spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes P16209 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would be moving my boat fast if a snake like that was nearby.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a mountain lion walk across a small rip-rap dam not twenty foot from my boat. Lake Fairfield Tx.

Post Thanks / Like

How about following a black bear while fishing:

Name:  Swimming Bear.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  38.5 KB
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes P16209, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Being in SE Louisiana I see lots of alligators and snakes. Have also seen Manatee, otters, nutria, raccoons, hogs, turkey, deer, and others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kybluediver View Post
    I posted this on the KY forum but ran across this big timber rattler a few weeks ago. I see snakes all the time on the water but this was my first rattler. Hard to tell the size from the pic but I don't think I couldn't have fit two hands around it and touched fingers at it's thickest spot.
    I guess is true what I have heard over the years. I heard that poison snakes swim on top of the water and non poison snakes swim with their body slightly under the surface. Anyone else ever heard that? Is it true?
    Likes Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

yep, I have heard same thing,just never stuck around lone enough to ask?
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a cool experience with the turkey. I had a visit with a Loon in distress a few years back. Sat on the back of the boat and recovered after I cut the limbline off of it, then hopped off and went back to business. I've seen Mink, Bobcat, Deer both on the bank and swimming, Beaver, otter, Racoon, and being here in FL, gator and snakes and more species of birds than I care to recount. For me, it isn't always about the fish.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes fiveeyes, Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast