Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zebco Authentic Spincast reel - Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Zebco Authentic Spincast reel - Nice!

When you think of Zebco reels, you might think cheaply made, poor design, too little line capacity, low gear ratio, etc. After trying out the # 33 model, I have to say it amazed me the improvement Zebco made to that model.

After my carpal tunnel surgery, I went back to using spinning reels for most fishing, no longer in pain and no longer needing to reel with my other hand. I'm old fashioned in the sense that a spincast reel was my first reel and I remember as a kid catching small and large fish (a 7 lb carp in fact!) But over the years, spinning reels were pretty much the best for light lures, higher gear ratio (more line per reel handle revolution), better drag and other advantages. I don't even know why I recently bought the Zebco except was impressed by the reviews on different sites.

Now Zebco had incorporated infinite anti-reverse gearing, ball bearings, a smooth drag, the ability to cast a country mile, better gear ratio - important maintaining pressure on hooked fish at a distance, compactness, dual line pickups and at a good price (25 bucks/free shipping). It cast 8lb test without a hitch and I added a 6# test leader. A 1.5 lb catfish was a true test of the drag as it it swam under the boat and into weeds. Rigged on a light action 6' spincast rod, it is as good as any spinning rig I own and always on board.

I have to say, for anyone starting out or experienced, it does the job!

Post Thanks / Like

For the longest time I had said any 33's (last good one was the classic 33) made from the late 90's and up just weren't Zebco's anymore and the quality had gone to ****! When I got my grand daughter an updated rod and reel I looked at the new 33 and really irritated the guys at Bass Pro in Auburn NY. It was WOW!!! did they finally listen and fix everything and the answer is YES!!!

They fixed the inside cone so the line didn't clump up, the angle of the outside cone was fixed to and it reeled great, cast far (got away with that one at BPS!!LOL) the only thing I didn't like was the Cajun line that was on it - changed it to 6 lb. Trilene XL. I may get a spool of 8lb. as she hasn't figured out the drag system yet and for her just catching is all that matters.

Note to all parents and grand parents - don't forget the rule of if the ground behind you is higher than you are make sure they know how to cast side arm!!! I forgot and almost had a quick new ear ring hole!!!

They have really come back to getting my recommendation for it - I also like the looks of the trigger spin 33 and may just get her one so she gets used to how it's reeled and help get her ready for spinning reels.
    Likes Snubby LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use the deltas . They are a lot like the old 33 classics . I've had one for about 7 years now with no problems. But I to have see a lot of good reviews on the new 33s.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I been using zebco's for 55 years. All kinds. I have some omega's and delta's that I use for ultralight fishing. The only knock I have and have always had is, the drag system is poor. Gets out of adjustment on it's own a lot. If they would design a better drag, they would be 5 star for the price. And they are easier to use if you have bad wrist's like I do. I still like my revo's and curado's for bass fishing, but since joining C.c I do less of that.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes rcornish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone else I started out with a closed face reel. My first was a Johnson Century (which I still have today) from the 50's. I've used several Zebs as well. The one thing I absolute hate about closed faced reels: line pickup is hit or miss! Which cost me many fish in my growing up years. Not sure if the newer models have eliminated this bane, but if not, I wouldn't go near one ever again.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Been useing Zebcos for over 60 years...have several 11T's on some jig poles
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes "D", Snubby LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you all know what Zebco stands for? Bit of trivia I added to a class I teach for DNR to introduce kids to fishing.
    Zero Hour Bomb Company. You can surmise from that what they started out making.
    Last edited by "G"; 06-22-2016 at 08:24 AM.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The history time line of ZEBCO, interesting.
    "gene"

Zebco History | Zebco Fishing
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes glasseyes, Snubby LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of good memories with the Zebco 33 from my childhood. Heck, during the summer all a kid needed was a 33, tackle box, box of night crawlers and a fishin' hole. Also, remember smelling like WD40 a lot from keeping it nice and lubed up, just pop the top and hose it down, a low maintenance reel that was for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    line pickup is hit or miss! Which cost me many fish in my growing up years. Not sure if the newer models have eliminated this bane, but if not, I wouldn't go near one ever again.
    Their Original Omega Pro has 3 pickups, AND now they have an Omega Pro made for braid with 3 Ceramic pickups...BIG $$ (got mine for 80 bucks incl shipping, on EBAY), but actually a VERY VERY NICE "Coffee Grinder"!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast