Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Off the main road MDC lakes and Thomas Hill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Off the main road MDC lakes and Thomas Hill

With the weather so terribly hot for this early, I decided to take a couple of days and do some scouting to places I have never or seldom fished. Since this forum is pretty helpful I will do what I can.
    The first lake I tried was Peters Lake near Fayette. Also known as the "old" city lake. It has a rough gravel ramp and seemed to be experiencing an algae bloom. Small bass and bluegill are fairly common and I know it has crappie but I caught none. Then DC Rogers and this really nice looking lake is also at Fayette. It seems to get a lot of fishing pressure and has a good ramp and camping. Only caught really small crappie.
    I went to Sterling Price Lake(which I am sure will get renamed at some point as the guy was a Confederate General, oh the horror!) It was really hot by the time I got there so did not put the boat in. Tried the bank but so much goose crap it was hard to walk. Definetly a boat lake!
    Thomas Hill is full and dirty but fishable. Channel Cat are spawning now so easy to catch along the rocks. Not many big ones. Bass are mixed in with them. Crappie were a no show.
    Went back to T Hill today; same results.
    On the way home I went to Sugar Creek Lake by Moberly. My first time there. Very similar to Fayette lakes. MDC employee said there were good bass in it and I saw 3 bass boat out (idle speed only) but it was too hot and I did not try. Pretty lake with good boat ramp and fishing dock, parking is limited and on a monday was about half full, the roads to it are a bit rough. Good luck if you go. I may try when the weather gets better. Catfish overall would be the best bet that I saw.

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to get reports from the smaller lakes....thanks.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Had the good fortune to fish a strip pit with a good friend yesterday with good results on bass but not a single crappie.. Caught and released 7 over 4lbs. None over 5 but all really nice healthy fish. All very early due to the heat I guess.
    Likes stratosverian, vic n LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

nice idea to try something different when so hot. did real well at Thill this summer and sugar creek has a lot of crappie, fished around docks and caught loads but mostly short fish. always nice to try new waters just for fun