HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Light?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Light?

I am looking for battery powered lights for night fishing. I need opinions on which are the brightest or best for the money.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a berkly model that I bought at bass pro. I runs on aa batteries and is green. Have caught fish around it 2 out of the 3 times I have used it about 15 ft down.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Quarrow 180 LED 12 volt. Bass Pro had it for $89.99 I found the exact same light at Academy for $59.99. I used it last night for the first time. It was very bright. I dropped the light in the water at sundown and there was a swarm of bait fish by dark.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a question : can someone tell me what is the purpose of putting lights down so deep

Most all of the night fishing w/lights, that I've ever done, has been with lights either above the surface, on the surface, or slightly below it. They've all worked to draw in the baitfish, and eventually the Crappie ... so I'm just curious as to why putting the lights down to depths that I've hardly ever even put a minnow or jig is going to make the situation any better.

Post Thanks / Like

CrappyPappy, I have no idea on the answer to that question. Last night was my first time to try night fishing specifically for crappie and first time with a light. I was fishing about 12"fow so I sunk the light half way between surface and bottom. I will say that most of the crappie I have caught from this lake have been in the 16-20" depth range. It is a deep clear Lake that holds many great game fish, but confounds me when trying to find crappie every trip. I keep going back because of the two lakes that are close I like it better.
    Thanks huntersdad thanked you for this post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of night fishermen recommend putting a light down at the thermocline line. I am not a night fishermen but have seen this on some of the videos on you tube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slackline View Post
    CrappyPappy, I have no idea on the answer to that question. Last night was my first time to try night fishing specifically for crappie and first time with a light. I was fishing about 12"fow so I sunk the light half way between surface and bottom. I will say that most of the crappie I have caught from this lake have been in the 16-20" depth range. It is a deep clear Lake that holds many great game fish, but confounds me when trying to find crappie every trip. I keep going back because of the two lakes that are close I like it better.
    12 inches " and 16-20 inches " seems like quite the shallow lake??? perhaps you meant feet ' ???
    Retired golf addict

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a Coleman lantern in the past. We made a holder from a 2x4 which put the latern about 8' or so from the boat. Sometimes we would hang it in a tree we where fishing near. I have never sumerged a light though, always just above the water surface. I am thinking that a modern battery operated light would be less trouble and easier to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I have a question : can someone tell me what is the purpose of putting lights down so deep

Most all of the night fishing w/lights, that I've ever done, has been with lights either above the surface, on the surface, or slightly below it. They've all worked to draw in the baitfish, and eventually the Crappie ... so I'm just curious as to why putting the lights down to depths that I've hardly ever even put a minnow or jig is going to make the situation any better.
    I'm with you....I don't know why folks drop them so deep. I have fished Dale Hollow at night many times and we just would hang the Colemans over the side for years. Now it is much more convenient to use the Hydra Glow or something similar and just drop them down a couple of feet. Fishing in 100 feet of water and even though water temps are in the high 80's even the trout will come up to surface for the bait.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibmack View Post
    12 inches " and 16-20 inches " seems like quite the shallow lake??? perhaps you meant feet ' ???
    Sure did. That's what happens with fat fingers on a little screen

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast