Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I fixed my broken rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default How I fixed my broken rod

Have any of you ever broken a rod? Lol most of us have. I recently broke my 11ft Crappie Maxx that I really liked. BPS doesn't sell replacement halves so I was left with the option of putting a new eye on it and having a rod about 8" shorter or trying to somehow splice it back together. I watched a few videos on youtube but didn't like the finished product on most of them so I came up with my own way of doing it.
    First I found a roll pin that fit snug in the two halves about an inch long. I used gorilla glue super glue gel and glued the roll pin into one half. After it cured I lined up and glued the other half onto the first. Then I took some 10 lb test braid and back served over the break about 2" total (1" on each side of the break. I finished it off with a couple top layers of superglue to bond everything together and harden/protect the braid.
    Took all of 15 minutes to do and now that it has cured I have been torquing the heck out of it and it seems to be as good as new. I can't tell a difference in performance at all, and the repair is only the thickness of 10 lb mono (2lb diameter). I have no idea how long it will last but thought I would share with you guys in case you have a broken rod laying around that you miss. Didn't cost me a penny as I already had the materials. The only thing I could think of that would have made it better is to use a more flexible glue than super glue gel, but that is also what I use when I have to retie guides on and i've never had any problems with it.

If you have a better way, please feel free to comment on how you have repaired your rods in the past. No sense in throwing away a $60 rod when you can fix it for pennies.

Likes skeetbum, Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds great
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I USE OLD RODS AND EITHER SLIDE IT OVER BROKEN ROD AND GLUE OR PUT IT INSIDE OF BROKEN ROD AND GLUE
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a successful repair. Congrats!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Grizzly jig has replacement tip section's for most rod's.May have to call them and reasonable.B&M has replacement tip's also.Great tip for repairing broken rod's.Thank's
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a successful repair - fish it up and let us know how it goes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Sounds like a successful repair - fish it up and let us know how it goes
    Good job on the repair,smart thinking....
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good fix

Post Thanks / Like

Good info, thanks.
    Likes broharrell LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good repair. You mentioned a more flexible glue. and I'd like to suggest some of the Devcon epoxy products. Some of them cure in 30 minutes and others go longer and I think there's some that cure in like 10 minutes but that isn't much work time. That's what I use and so far they've stayed put. Good job serving the joint so they don't splinter further. In a pinch when you don't have anything else, like a camping trip or such, even mono will do for a time.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes jwilson48 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast