Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tubes

A quick question. Do any of you folks have much success fishing with tubes this time of the year? I've tried them most every time out, for a little while, but have not had any success for the past 3 trips. Right now it appears that it's a toss up between straight tails and Slider grubs (paddle tails).

If you are having success with tubes, how are you presenting them? Thanks muchly!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We use Arkie Salty tubes.2 in is or fav.But really liking the 2.5 "can use a heaver tube jig 3/16-1/4 oz.With the inside tube jig's 1/8 oz/3/16,1/4 oz # 4-2 black nickle hook.We get over the tree/structure/brush pile.We like at least 20' of water. We drop or pitch the tube down into the brush.Crank or reel up one click.Try to hold the tube as still as possible."almost impossible" We watch the line for the line to jump where the line enter's the water.set the hook.On rare days "when they are biting"you will feel a thump.Be careful with getting trolling motor over the brush.Trolling motors are so powerful these days the thrust will reach the brush pile and spook the fish.We use marker buoy to mark the brush"Arkie stealth buoy"black" has the best in the business.You can see them but other boats cannot."black"hope this helps.Your kid's grandkid's can do this and catch some fish that cannot cast.,Black/chart,White/chart.All colors catch fish are Arkie would not make or sell them.Good fishing.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes RMGeorge, Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

About this time of year, they are my go to setup. They land me mostly bluegill and the occasional largemouth. I run them under a small weighted bobber about 2 1/2ft to 3ft down, and threaded on a #8 straight shank hook.
    Name:  SAM_0907.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  56.0 KBName:  SAM_0908.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  33.9 KBName:  SAM_0909.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  28.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Tubes work all year long. Jackie is giving you go advice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Started with hollow tubes many decades ago, then switched to solid body tubes ... and eventually on to solid body stinger shad & other solid body plastics as my primary baits. Up until most recently, my primary method was casting & swimming them back on a very slow retrieve. They've worked well in all methods of presentation that I've used them in, whether it be swimming them, jigging them, trolling them, or Vertical Casting with them.

In fact, in my most recent trip (a week or so ago) ... tubes were the deal, and accounted for all the keeper fish caught. And they were NOT, in fact, the first offerings we used. The fish just did not respond to stinger shad, or Crappie Thunder tubes .... but, did respond to the straight tail tubes that my partner switched to, so I "got like him" and we proceeded to start catching fish.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have long lined tubes before all year long. Start out with a 1/16 and right now heavier as the fish move deeper in the heat following creek channels, humps, long points next to creek channels and deeper water. Run them right thru bait balls. I prefer a hollow salted tube injected with crappie nibbles. Use them just like your crankin a Crankbait.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes timmah, ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use tubes year around tipped with a minnow always catch a few fish, some times we used hand tied jigs.

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I dip with Mid-South 2" tubes at Truman all summer. Rig on 1/8 oz head with a drop of Gorilla brand gel. They will hold up 3 to 4 times as long as with out. Mostly use blue black purple or silver metal flake and a chartreuse tail. Little drop of Bobby Garland Slab Jam and dip 4 to 10 feet down as a rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use tubes almost exclusively . Southern Pro Umbella tubes are my favorite . Purple/chatruse are the color I stay with most times . I use Jackie's insert heads unpainted inside the tubes . Like Jackie said use markers bouys and run trolling motor slow as possiable and never on top of a brushpile. Best approach from down wind side and use stealth when approaching a spot . Here we fish shallow (3 to 8 ') muddy water alot . Never know till the fish hit whether shallow , suspended or tight low in cover . Start out flipping over the brush then fish deeper till you get a pattern . I always say keep line tight and in contact with your jig . Otherwise to could miss lots of light strkes . Helps to use a heavy ( 1/8 or 1/4 oz )jig to keep line tight .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes ad1974, blue-jig LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I mainly use tubes as well,my favorite is the midsouths but the southern pros are good too.I always fill them with crappie nibbles and fish vertically,I do use some other baits and techniques but this is usually how I do it and my favorite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast