Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Lite Gear for Pan Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Lite Gear for Pan Fishing

I bought a lite action rod an reel-(4lb,6lb,8lb) , I'm looking for best line to use for 1/16oz - 1/8oz jigs . My brother-inlaw tells me that the Berkley NanoFil Uni-Filament Fishing Line with a leader would be the best way to go ,he has them on all his spinning reels and I used one when I was visiting them in Fl. I was amazed as how will it cast the lite jigs for brim fishing an saw him catch a good 2lb stripe bass with out breaking his line. But for the coast an doing some reading I heard they will break a lot at the knots? So I'm just looking for a second best line set up for my son an I because I bought 2 reg's one for me an one for him when we go out crappie fishing. And what should I get a 6lb or 8lb line ? we do catch bass an pickerel when we out crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had terrible experiences with lighter pound tests Nanofil, which I've reported here in the past. I tried the 2# test and the 4# test. Using a fluorocarbon leader connecting both with the Alberto knot. Can't tell you how many fish and jigs I've lost with the line breaking just above the joint knot! Regardless of how lightly I set the hook - and sometimes just reeling and not setting - the line would part very easily. I even tried direct ties without a leader. Same results.

Prior to experimenting with these two pound tests of Nano, I had been a long time user of Fireline. I've gone back to it now, in the 2# test (Crystal verstion) with a 4' fluorocarbon leader and have had no breakage at all - with the exception of bite-off from pike or pickeral. Even hang-ups are broken off at the jig knot, not the leader joint.

Fireline crystal casts beautifully as well. I now have it on 4 of my crappie rigs (two 9', one 7' and one 6'6"); three of these have the 2# test and one with 4# test (for heavier jig heads). No problems.....no worries. I would never go back to Nanofil. I still have it spooled on two of my bass fishing rigs (I was sold on all the false hype at the time), but have not had any breakage problems with the heavier rated Nano - 10# & 12# tests.

Take it for what it's worth (just my opinion) and do your own testing. However, don't be surprised if experience similar results.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I use some very light jigs - some as small as 1/100th once, so I ordered and payed dearly for two spools of Nanofil (over $40) one 2# and one 1#.

The good: The stuff casts like a bullet and does not bury itself on the spool like some fused lines do.

The bad: The stuff is a pain in the posterior to tie knots in. I googed "Nanofil Knots" and came up with a couple - BUT - both are a pain to tie. When I use a leader I normally use a Uni to Uni knot. With Nanofil and flourocarbon the NF just slides out of the knot with very little pull. I had to use an improved Albright knot and it is not easy to tie

Notice all my experience with NF is past tense. That is because I got rid of both spools because it had way more down sides than the casting distance made up for.

I have gone to Fireline Crystal Fused. It is close to NF in casting distance and is easier to tie. Its one down-side is that it likes to bury itself in the spool so that has to be watched.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Power Pro 8-1 in Hi Viz braid and really like it and it casts great

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For jig casting purposes, I am using 6# test Vicious Panfish Copoly line for casting 1/32 - 1/16oz jigs/plastics. I use the hi-viz version because I'm a line watcher, and because I fish lakes that usually have mildly stained to murky water.

Post Thanks / Like

So any kind of 10lb Braided Line with Flor Leader will work all right? I've notice that most all braids start at 10lb an up except the Spider Wire I saw it has 4lb an up are these any good.
    I got my son a 8lb Berkley Fire Line Crystal ,should I go with 8lb Flor Leader with it , I might go with a 6lb Berkley Fire Line Crystal with a Leader ?

Post Thanks / Like

I fished NanoFil since the day it came out for about two years and nothing else. I still use it some today. It just got to where I could not see it so I went to SOS 2# test copolymer. I never had any problems with knots and NanoFil. I would use a 2# test fluro leader with 2# test NanoFil using the surgeons knot to tie the leader. I have landed well over a thousand smallmouth using 2# test NanoFil....many of them 20-21 inch fish. Lost count of crappie I landed with it. I love the stuff for casting and sensitivity. But the older I got just could not see the 2# test. I have even used some 1# test when I was in an area that had Gills in the 6-7 inch range. I used some 4# test NanoFil today on white bass. The only drawback I found with it is it abrades very easily. I would use a 2 foot leader even for crappie and Gills for that very reason. But the sensitivity is off the charts with the stuff. Today I would cast 4# test into the current and just let my lure drift into a wing wall and would wait for the thump...then set the hook.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I use some very light jigs - some as small as 1/100th once, so I ordered and payed dearly for two spools of Nanofil (over $40) one 2# and one 1#.

The good: The stuff casts like a bullet and does not bury itself on the spool like some fused lines do.

The bad: The stuff is a pain in the posterior to tie knots in.
    I love Nanofil! It's the best "high tech" line by far.

Just use a 12 turn Uni knot. It will never break again. After you tie a 12 turn Uni a few times, you will be able to tie on in a couple seconds.

No more noise going through guides. No more wind knots. Give it another try, it's the best line out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
    So any kind of 10lb Braided Line with Flor Leader will work all right? I've notice that most all braids start at 10lb an up except the Spider Wire I saw it has 4lb an up are these any good.
    I got my son a 8lb Berkley Fire Line Crystal ,should I go with 8lb Flor Leader with it , I might go with a 6lb Berkley Fire Line Crystal with a Leader ?
    No need to go to 10# test anything in my opinion. Unless of course, you are fishing heavy brush/trees. With the 8# Fireline Crystal, I'd go with 6# fluorocarbon. With the 6# Crystal, I'd use a 4# Fluorocarbon leader. I use 2 & 2 on most of my rigs and I've taken some pretty big bass, pike & trout. But that's just something you have to try for yourself and determine what works best for you. Nothing anyone uses is "wrong". It's just a matter of preference and what gives you the most confidence.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    No need to go to 10# test anything in my opinion. Unless of course, you are fishing heavy brush/trees. With the 8# Fireline Crystal, I'd go with 6# fluorocarbon. With the 6# Crystal, I'd use a 4# Fluorocarbon leader. I use 2 & 2 on most of my rigs and I've taken some pretty big bass, pike & trout. But that's just something you have to try for yourself and determine what works best for you. Nothing anyone uses is "wrong". It's just a matter of preference and what gives you the most confidence.

What type of knot would be best for this set-up , I use the Alberto knot for my 30lb Braid with 20lb Fluorocarbon Leader.
    Last edited by inkslinger; 06-18-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast