Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrova

Post Thanks / Like

Default Terrova

I'm talking myself into a terrova with ipilot or link. I'm set on a 12 volt so I guess it's terrova 55. My two biggest concerns are shaft length and backwash spooking fish when using spot lock. I have 36" 40# all terrain now and it does what I need it to do. I am able to run it all the way down in shallow water. It lets me have plenty of room for my trolling rods out front. It looks like terrova 55 with link is only available in 54" shaft and ipilot is available in 45". I really want link, but don't know about the extra length. Do any of you use spot lock and have trouble with backwash spooking fish? I think it would be great to stay completely still while unhooking a fish or untangling a line. It's a big investment for me and I just want to get some input from some of you that have been there and done that.

Post Thanks / Like

Shafts lenth isn't too big of a deal they have a collar the slides up and down and you can set the depth of your motor. The spot lock feature is great and a very handy tool but don't be fooled it will not keep you dead on the spot you spot lock it will drift off then work it's way back to the spot which works great when spider rigging over a pile.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 36 volt I piolt and really like it .. The spot lock is handy as you said when untangling line and such .. And I use it some over beds but it's going to move you around 10 ft or so ,, just because of gps accuracy .. So I tend to use the hand held remote and just bump it as needed to stay on target over brush

Post Thanks / Like

if spot lock is the primary reason you are upgrading then do yourself a favor and get the motorguide xi5. the anchor mode on the xi5 is significantly better and less of a hassle than minn kota's spot lock.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.....feel free to buy the longest shaft because the depth is adjustable. Staying right on a brushpile is not really an option with terrova....not sure about any other TM's, but I've heard good things about the rhodan motors. I think in the future, the GPS in these motors will be refined to allow closer positioning, just because of competition.

Post Thanks / Like

In reference to the shaft length it is my understanding any authorized Minn Kota dealer can shorten it for you if wanted. There are also YouTube videos on the subject as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A man remembered never dies.

Post Thanks / Like

Xi5..for sale in the classifieds..check it out

Post Thanks / Like

Drifting is an issue if your not facing into the wind. When facing into the wind a pump keeps you in position. When messing with fish or pines I like to drift off the spot a little ways and then hold position. Real easy to spook fish when moving about the boat. If boat control is that critical, I prefer to double anchor and not worry about moving at all.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    Yep.....feel free to buy the longest shaft because the depth is adjustable. Staying right on a brushpile is not really an option with terrova....not sure about any other TM's, but I've heard good things about the rhodan motors. I think in the future, the GPS in these motors will be refined to allow closer positioning, just because of competition.
    I can only hope that the competition makes them get better!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Get the 54 inch....You dont have to lower it only as much as you want too....in windy conditions you will be glad you can lower it some more.....also....does not hurt a thing sticking up...it makes it easier to pull up and stow. I have a 60 inch on my 80 lb. terrova
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Redge, trypman1 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast