Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: DO ANYONE HAVE A RANGER 188 ALUNINUM BOAT

Post Thanks / Like

Default DO ANYONE HAVE A RANGER 188 ALUNINUM BOAT

HAVE A FRIEND THAT HAVE RANGER BOAT AND WE HAVE TRIED TO GET 1199 ON 2D TO READ AT 30 PLUS MPH BUT AT ABOUT 15MPH IT START LOSING BOTTOM.I HAVE A TRACKER 175 AND I CAN READ BOTTOM AT 30 WITH A GOOD PIC WILL ALSO GIVE GOOD SI AT THAT SPEED.I KNOW HOW TO SET ONE UP ,IT IS NOT ANYTHING IN THE WAY,IT HAS NO RIBBETS AND IN CENTER OF RIBS ,WE HAVE SET DUCER FLUSH TO ALSO MUCH AS 1/2 INCH BELOW BOTTOM AND STILL THE SAME,PUT MY DUCER ON IT WITH NO INPROVEMENT,WAS WANDERING IF SOMETHING IN BOAT STYLE,ALSO HAVE TILTED IT IN FRONT WITH BACK LOWER THAN FRONT,ALSO TOOK SOME FIBERGLASS AND SLOWLY TAPERED BOTTOM OF BACK OF BOAT TO LEVEL DUCER WITH BOTTOM OF BOAT MAKING BOAT IN THAT AREA FLAT INSTEAD OF SLANTED IN THAT AREA
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Gene- I have a 188 with the same problem. Since day one I have no depth readings on plane. My TD is mounted in between the first set of ribs next to the motor. When I started looking at why mine wouldn't work, I found the little welded trim tab directly in line with it. Another spot has a bunk board there and it seems like each opening for a TD is blocked by something. I've thought about buying one of the set back mounts that put the TD about 8" behind the transom and (supposedly) into clean water, but the lakes I fish are filled with stumps. Let me know if you find a spot.

Post Thanks / Like

THANKS VIC,BECAUSE OF THE WELD IS WHY WE BUILD IT UP WITH FIBERGLASS ,I THOUGHT THAT WOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM,WE HAVE THE DUCER IN THE SAME PLACE U DO

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Alumacraft Pro175 with a Humminbird Helix 7. Same problem. I mounted this transducer in same location as old depth finder, but no signal at any speed above slow no wake. tried all adjustments with no luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I read not long ago that to see a good spot with no turbulence in back of the boat, a guy should hang his head over and peek while someone else is driving. No turbulence means only green water with no white (bubbles). The article said that in many cases, the clean green water might be several inches behind the boat, and to get the transducer into that green water, a transducer extension might be needed. Here is a picture of what a guy might do, altho this is on a pontoon, I think this would work. I'm also sure I've seen something like this for sale. I'm afraid to do this because of stumps, but I guess if it could be spring loaded, it might work.

Here is another link

Post Thanks / Like

thanks vic,like the idea but hoping to work something else,we have in spring floating logs when water rises,will keep that in mine if cannot find another way

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how far your Humminbirds transducer sits back off the transom but I have my Lowrance 2d transducer mounted directly behind the starboard side bunk. It clears the bunk by about. 1/2" using the standard bracket.

I'm also experimenting with a transducer glued in the bilge just in front of the bilge pump. I was getting some good high speed readings with it the last time I was out but when it did lose bottom it took a long time to lock back on. After I got home I realized both of my bow graphs were on the same frequency and that they were interfering with each other.

If I get out in the morning I'll try it out again with them running on different frequencies and with the one on the transom disconnected.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Alumaducer works out, I may go this route without trying something different on my transom mounted TD