Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider Rig Setup Crappie Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rig Setup Crappie Jon

Hi CCers,

My dad is selling me (practically giving me) his Alumacraft Crappie Jon. This boat is a definite upgrade for me and it comes with a set of HiTek Rod holders and a brand new tm as well. I have fished out of this boat several times and I am thinking I need to modify a few things to be set up for spider rigging comfortably and efficiently. I know some of you spider rig out of the same boat or essentially the same boat, so please post pics or suggestions. My plan is to fish with the boat till it gets cold and make the mods this winter when I replace the carpet in the boat.

1. The front seat feels too far back. Because of this, my dad mounted his rod holders on the floor so he could reach the poles from the seat. He angles his rods off to the right of the boat to get the tips further away from the boat. I would really like to mount on the raised deck but would have to move the front seat forward one rib i think. This would make the fctm a bit tight but I think it is worth it. Right now, if you use 12 ft rod straight off the front of the boat, about 4 ft of the rod is in the boat and baits are too close to tm imo.

2. I want to upgrade electronics; I can spend about $400 and would love to get down imaging if possible for that price. I don't think I need si. There is an older hummingbird unit on there now. It works well, but is bw and just a standard unit. My ultimate desire is to have at least a 5 inch unit w gps at back of boat so I can hunt and find structure w outboard. But, I want to be able to see the structure well in front of boat where I spend most of my fishing time.

3. The trolling motor bracket needs to be slanted. Currently the tm comes straight back from the mount which is really in the way. I would like to tilt the bracket to where the head of the motor rests right above the edge of boat when stowed to increase space up front. This would also ensure the tm doesn't interfere w rod holders; currently, my dad has to turn the rod holders or remove from base to move locations.

4. Carpet is completely rotten. I can't decide if I should have the boat re-carpeted or lined with spray liner. Any input would be much appreciated.

5. Rod transport; there is not enough length on side of boat to attach rods on the side panels without breaking rods down. I want to do a clean, professional rod transport rack on left side of the boat but I don't need to carry more than 6 rods ever. Any recommendations appreciated.

Am I headed down the right track here? Anything else? Anything I'm doing you would say not to do?

Thanks for all the great advice.
    no matter what I'm doing, I've got hunting or fishing on my mind...

Post Thanks / Like

Personally if I was redoing a aluminum boat I would do hydroturf its expensive but that stuff is nice. It is cooler than spray in liner and easier to clean than carpet. I dunno if you can move the seat but when you pull out the interior that would be something to look into... maybe you can get it slid forward a little.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

M y Crappie Jone is rigged with Perrotti 18" stainless mounts that I had modified to fold down. These mounts are floor mounted but are braced to the sides. Very sturdy. You can see the side mount aluminum brace in the picture. The rod holders are Bee Readys. Everything on the Jon is leftovers from other boat adventures.
    I installed stick steer a couple years ago. Gettin too old to swap seats with my honey.
    I have added more stuff since this picture.

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Blackhawk19 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP and Erin! CP, do you fish straight out of the front of yours or angled off the left side a bit?

Also, this boat I am getting has a 25 hp motor and it moves the boat awesome! But, it pulls so hard to the left it wears your arm out trying to pull the tiller to keep it straight. I noticed a week or so ago it has a solas prop on it. Could that be caused by the prop or do I need to add or mess with the tab on the fin of the motor leg?

Post Thanks / Like

I can do either and I do both. Depends mostly on the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by htr2133 View Post
    Thanks CP and Erin! CP, do you fish straight out of the front of yours or angled off the left side a bit?

Also, this boat I am getting has a 25 hp motor and it moves the boat awesome! But, it pulls so hard to the left it wears your arm out trying to pull the tiller to keep it straight. I noticed a week or so ago it has a solas prop on it. Could that be caused by the prop or do I need to add or mess with the tab on the fin of the motor leg?
    There should be a torque trim tab on the foot that you can adjust to compensate for that pull. You can see the cast aluminum trim tab on my motor(anti cavitation plate) right above the prop.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing you can try is to trim the motor up some. There is a pin that is used to set the trim in front of the foot ;usually part of the engine swing mount.

Post Thanks / Like

That Cane Pole knows some stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the cheapest Humminbird down imaging unit they make for my little john. I love the thing. It cost less than $200 and draws much better DI than my Helix 10 that cost $1600. The DI on the SI units is kind of an after thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info cp and shadboy! Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast