Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wiring up a aluminum boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wiring up a aluminum boat

Running wires on a aluminum boat and have most of it running directly to battery. Trolling motor power point motor and bilge pump. But now going to add a switch panel but it has breakers and a red light when you turn on switch but it only has red hot wire and the black ground is only for the red lights so my question is can I just run the ground to the boat body or will that cause a problem. So just looking for the right way to do it. I will be adding lights depth finder and stereo. Thanks for any help.
    [/SIZE][/I][/FONT]

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not ever connect grounds to aluminum boat body. Always connect ground to negative battery post. Grounding to the boat will cause electrolisis and over time your boat will have pin holes all over it.....might take it a few years but it will happen.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes brucec, Billbob, JohnK9027 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I asked. I didn't think that it would be a good ideal. I was just tiring not to have a bunch of wires going into battery box. Maybe I can tap into ground wire closes to where I install lights or whatever accessories that needs a ground
    [/SIZE][/I][/FONT]

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It also increases the risk of crossing the hot side of the battery with the boat which is now ground. Which can cause blown electronics, ignited fuel fumes or melting your wedding ring off your hand.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Run a large guage ground wire from battery up to the area where you are putting things and you can connect several grounds to it if need be.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Run the hot and ground wires to a marine fuse panel then connect accessories directly to fuse panel. Eliminates all issues
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Purchase one of these. Your life will be simpler. I've used these on two boats and they really clean up the wiring issues as well as put fuses in one spot making it easier to troubleshoot.

BLUE SEA SYSTEMS ST Blade 6-Position Fuse Block | West Marine
    Likes JohnK9027 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My local "country store" sells all kinds of hardware and automotive parts. They had fuse blocks exactly like the ones in West Marine for only $11. i bought two. Work flawlessly.