Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: and then the retesting phase of the 4 lb mono .......with the lil fry .....

Post Thanks / Like

Default and then the retesting phase of the 4 lb mono .......with the lil fry .....

Went out at lunch break to a spot I thought might have a few nice crappie in the shade . A big ole storm was coming so I didn't have much time . But here is the good news , I tied on a number 6 1/32 pro ball and applied a lil fry tadpole to it in the pearl ice coloration .....and I got to go home with that SAME bait after a bunch of SLABS ate it and I hoisted EVERY fish right onto the dock .....I was somewhat trying to repeat my failures with the 4 lb the other day and with not a soul around ....less embarrassing don't yaknow ....LOL AND I couldn't get the dang line to break for nothing ....
    This goes to show ya that sometimes it just is what it is .....
    and of course was what it was ....
    managed about 15 crappie and one black bass total ...around 10 er so were above the legal minimum ....
    and a half dozen that were real nice .....and hung that jig more than one time on the dock .
    amazing how a change of days and attitude can make such a tremendous difference .....
    sure love that new rod BTW ....man she is she a sweety ....it was super soft bite today
    around 12 to 14 down in around 16 fow .....in the shade under the dock
    a storm made me leave ....
    stay tuned .....and have a great day
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You sure get to fish more than I do, and catch more too. Good stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't you know that would be the way it was
    Boh
    USAF, Retired (1968 - 1992)
    1st SOW Air Commando

Post Thanks / Like

glad yawl enjoyed the read and photos ...
    it sure was fun to fight them fish today .....I may have to try it again soon .....
    4 lb test scares me though ...every hoist on the larger fish is hold your breath with a lil wish ...LOL
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post am a 4 lb test fishermen also. Espically coming from a pitching and flipping bass fishermen .LOLWe fish for Smallmouth on 2 and 4 lb test in our crystal clear lakes and streams can be exciting.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice post & pictures! You are living proof of the adequateness of 4# test lines.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used 4# mono in various brands, for over 30yrs. I caught and landed fish well above the 4# weight class, and the 2.75lb Crappie I'm holding in my avatar was caught and landed on 4# test Stren Gold. Having used rods no longer than 7', up until recent years, I rarely ever took a net along .... and when I did, I rarely used it on Crappie.

I remember an outing where myself and a couple (husband/wife friends of mine) were getting into some Crappie in the "near 2lb class", down in Tenn. I was lifting my fish over the side of the boat, with the line. They tried it a few times, and broke off all of their biggest fish doing so. The difference was, I was "gently" lifting the fish, whereas they (in their excitement) were trying to lift them in a "clean & jerk" (weightlifting) motion. We were all using the same line, because I had spooled their reels from the same spool mine came from.

I recently upped my line size to 6# test .... not because of losing fish, but because of losing jigs. And the reason for losing jigs was, I was fishing more fallen timber & brush than ever before and the 4# test line wasn't strong enough to straighten the jig hook. I'd have no qualms about going back to 4# test, if it became obvious that the 6# test was costing me bites.

I went from Stren Gold 4# to Mr Crappie Super (USA made) 4# to Vicious Panfish 6# over the course of the last 15yrs or so ... and I'm very happy with the Vicious line. All lines mentioned are "hi-viz". All line knots used (in all cases) were the Improved Clinch.
    Likes Tony the Tiger, Crestliner08, Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good info CP
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

went out today and ended up giving them yet another spankin with that 4 lb test again ...no break offs ....same jig ....
    now here comes the part where yawl go ....what ? ....Zebco Omniflex 800 yard spool of clear at walmart in the 4 lb test is the line ...
    1.76 cents on closeout .....that's my type of price and it seems if I go gently its my kind of line in certain situations as well ....
    Likes scrat, Crestliner08, Hanr3 LIKED above post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good info.The reason we went from mono to fluorocarbon no stretch better feel.Then we went to the braid PowerPro no stretch,better feel."the cover"feeling the bait over the limb"Then we have gone to Nano-fil."not trying to sell"Catch more fish on the mono,Fluro.!!But the trade off is we can feel the jig o.ver the brush/limb and feel the thump.When the jig hang's on the limb/brush "lightwire hook's we can straighten the hook and get our jig's back.Thanks enjoying reading the thread
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast