HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night crappies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night crappies

I have never tried fishing for crappie at night but I'm going to try it out here soon. Anyone got any tips or tricks for me. Do you prefer using minnows or jigs? Casting into them or vertical fish them?

Post Thanks / Like

I do it different than most. I go to a deeper water, lighted marina, and fish around the boats, slips, etc. The lights draw the bugs, baitfish , and allow me to see relatively well without additional lighting.
    Thanks CoryA thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not fishing for crappie at night is as good and like fishing during the day. The fish are still there. Just got to give them something to bite. Use lights to draw in bait and that draws in predator fish like crappie and others. Use minnows if you can. That is the crappies main staple food and if they are there they will eat them. Once you find them with minnows you can usually switch to jigs and still get bites. Fish structure like you do during the day and looka t the moon phases or solunar chart for best fishing days. Good luck!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a night trip planned tonight on Stockton in Missouri. You can follow the posts in the Missouri fishing thread. Have 7-8 going at this time. My first time after crappie. Used to bass fish with fluorescent line and a black light with a lot of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

Post Thanks / Like

boat docks with lights that run on a regular basis in deeper water seem to be great just around the perimeter of the lights in most lakes .
    the set out with a light in the water program can be pretty good at times as well . sometimes live bait works well but you might go thru quite a few minnows in an evening . we typically jig for them about 6 to 10 foot down just out of the light visibility .
    and keep in mind if you use LED lighting in your boat it will draw less insects , sometimes the bugs will really bug you at night ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Thanks avmt_88, snatchncatch thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried crappie fishing at night a few times. I have never done any good. I tried the same structure that I know holds fish during the day, but at night, they are not there (or don't bite). I have tried with and without lights. Someone told me that night time crappie fishing is best in clear lakes. The lake I fish has a little color to it most of the time. Maybe that's why I can't catch them at night??
    Thanks avmt_88 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

There are two other threads on night fishing this week.

I prefer slip bobbers and minnows. Day or night. About the only difference is finding them. They prefer low light conditions and will be near food. Find the link in those two and you have fish.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I went with a buddy of mine a bunch of times down in NC on Jordan,We would go close to a bridge and put floating lights on the water.We used minnows and fished them straight down,caught a bunch and would have a lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigfisherx View Post
    Used to bass fish with fluorescent line and a black light with a lot of luck.
    That's exactly how I do it.
    Likes avmt_88 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no expert but learning myself. The ole moon is your is your worst foe. If it's a quarter or more it can it can be a tuff bite. Fish the nights with the less moon. Fish the out side circles of the light also. If no bait fish show up, find another spot.
    Likes Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast