Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pontoon Trailer Lock

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pontoon Trailer Lock

I have my new pontoon sitting at our Lake House that is 100 miles away from us. It has a lock on the trailer but I am searching for a better one. Does anyone know the best lock to use on a pontoon trailer that has the squared off coupler (I think that is what it is called)? I am afraid my big investment is going to get stolen if I don't get it protected more. Below is a picture I found on the internet that is similar to the squared off front of the trailer. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

The Reese hitch lock is one of the best. They can be found at all the big box stores - Lowe's - Walmart etc.
    No lock will stop a determined and properly equipped thief, but this one will stop the opportunistic one and slow down everyone else.
    The best you can hope for is that the thief will pass yours up for an easier one.

Trailer Lock
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

[/IMG]ere's the one I use. Has a ball that goes in the hitch. Close hitch and install the locking bar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 suggestions. First is to take a hitch ball and cut the threads off of it and insert it into the hitch and lock it with the best lock you can find. Second works the absolute best but is more difficult. Years ago a friend had his boat stolen from his carport in the middle of the day. He cut a 2'X2' hole in the concrete under the axle section of the trailer of his new boat. He dug that 3' deep and put a piece of 1" rebar in a loop just high enough to get a cable through.
    Fact of the matter is that if they want it they will come prepared and get it, but these are a couple of options. A swing away tongue and remove the hinged portion is another.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Besides locking up with a large master lock and logging type chain to a tree I always used to remove one or both tires.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Let us not forget boat insurance is cheap compared to buying a new boat cause the last one was stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

chain /cable tires to frame along with whatever lock you decide .Nothing will stop a thief, but can make another boat appear easier to get .