PDA

View Full Version : How Many do you ketch ?

Ketchn
06-10-2016, 07:38 AM
of course there will be some numbers that are staggering ....the professional folks ...
and some like myself that go frequently will be up there as well .....
so what numbers do you average on just crappie in a year .....
i will start the bidding ....LOL
around 5,000 a year give or take a grand for me these days .....
and yes i have had a year or 3 where it exceeded 10,000 ......:highfive
keep in mind this ....i aint competitive ...i dont fish tourneys ...i dont really care who ketches the most or the biggest either
i am just getting a feel for who ketches what numbers wise .....
as always have a great day :ThumbsUp

ET Fish
06-10-2016, 07:56 AM
I'll play! Certainly not in the thousands, but enough to eat 'em once a week! Right now I'm struggling. Catching just a few, hunt and peck, one here, one there. I will not clean less than 5, so if I don't hit the number, all prisoners are pardoned! I prefer not to troll, nothing against it, but I always end up with a tangled mess! I am about to switch to nights to get away from the wake and jet skis. So, the answer is probably near 1,000.

M R Dux
06-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Are you kidding? Does a post like this contribute anything constructive to this site?

Fishermen and hunters are under attack by the bunny-huggers all over this country and all a post like this does is give them more ammunition to use against us and the sports we love.

Ketchn
06-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Are you kidding? Does a post like this contribute anything constructive to this site?

Fishermen and hunters are under attack by the bunny-huggers all over this country and all a post like this does is give them more ammunition to use against us and the sports we love.

i most certainly wasn't trying to cause an issue with anyone here or anywhere else , the constructive part of this thread is it might help those reading crappie.com decide who might have tips that are tried and true .
sorry if it offended anyone and if the owner or moderators feel like it somehow is hurting the website , please take the thread down ....

Slab
06-10-2016, 12:00 PM
"The thread can stay. No mention of "keeping" all the fish caught ... and some waters having no size or creel limits means the numbers of fish caught in a year may not be negatively impacting the lake or the sport.

The "anti's" are going to diss us, regardless of how many fish are caught." - crappiepappy

Slab
06-10-2016, 12:04 PM
Besides, as much as I go out, as as many fish as I catch (one per trip), I make up for a whole lot of fishermen.

All jokes aside, many people practice catch and release, and many waters are managed differently. All we need to insist on is that everyone follows all local regulations. Also, let a few of the big mama's go in the Spring to make more of the fish we love so much.

BAMA S
06-10-2016, 12:04 PM
I never kept count. But I give away 80 percent of what I catch. Some whole, some filleted and some peeps I cook for. Always have some that are unable to provide for their self

crappiewisdom
06-10-2016, 12:54 PM
I tried to post here earlier before it was temporarily taken down. Ketchn didn't say he was "keepin", so I don't have any problem with his numbers.

I rarely keep fish 'cause I like fishing better than cleaning. But if a guy is following the laws in his area as far as limits are concerned, more power to him.

Keep what you can eat and let the rest go is my philosophy.

crappiewisdom
06-10-2016, 12:55 PM
duplicate post sorry..

Zinger
06-10-2016, 12:59 PM
I don't think I have had a thousand in 60 years of fishing!! I must be really bad at this!! Better go back to bass fishing I guess!!!

jigfisherx
06-10-2016, 01:43 PM
I assume you are counting shorts as well as keepers. We have a lot of 100 to 200 fish days counting shorts. I seldom keep a limit of 15 unless I have someone with me that wants fish. Seldom keep fish less than 11 inches even though most lakes I fish have a 9 inch length limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ketchn
06-10-2016, 03:37 PM
shorts count .....LOL

huntinslabs
06-10-2016, 07:24 PM
A stellar year maybe 4500.;typical year prolly around 3000. Thats every species.

blueball
06-10-2016, 07:40 PM
In a live well I don't think u will get it too cold. In a yeti or good cooler u can though. Just freeze some bottles or jugs and put in there. When they thaw out add another one. It's what has worked for me. I don't like hearing the pump turn on and off. I fill it one time and I'm done. I have oxygen running to the well and don't mess with it till I'm done fishing.
Thanks for the advice,will give it a try.I have oxygen and run my pumps,think it would be easier your way[emoji2]

of course there will be some numbers that are staggering ....the professional folks ...
and some like myself that go frequently will be up there as well .....
so what numbers do you average on just crappie in a year .....
i will start the bidding ....LOL
around 5,000 a year give or take a grand for me these days .....
and yes i have had a year or 3 where it exceeded 10,000 ......:highfive
keep in mind this ....i aint competitive ...i dont fish tourneys ...i dont really care who ketches the most or the biggest either
i am just getting a feel for who ketches what numbers wise .....
as always have a great day :ThumbsUp
10000 ,that's 27.39 fish a day every day of the year[emoji2]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

fair weather
06-10-2016, 09:36 PM
I don't keep a accurate count, but would estimate between two and three hundred keepers, including my fishing buddy, per year. I fish Lake Cumberland and only in the morning.

INTIMIDATOR
06-10-2016, 10:05 PM
A few years back, I fished 279 days...I would hate to guess the numbers of that year!
I only keep fish in the early spring when our waters are cool...then I C&R the rest of the year until the water cool again.

Crestliner08
06-11-2016, 06:02 AM
I never really tallied it up for a full year of fishing. We do average between 40 - 140 fish (all CPR) per trip. The number of trips per year varies, depending on the weather and winter ice up starts.

Ketchn
06-11-2016, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the advice,will give it a try.I have oxygen and run my pumps,think it would be easier your way[emoji2]

10000 ,that's 27.39 fish a day every day of the year[emoji2]

Back when we started the lets learn to ketch them anywhere anytime program a bad trip was in the less than 50 area. Many trips exceeded 250 and we hit it 365 days a year , with many trips in the 6 To 8 hr. time frame . Now days I only go a few hours 4 or 5 days week, the good news is they rarely escape me no matter where or when I go now :highfive

eagle 1
06-11-2016, 08:36 AM
I can not imagine cleaning 1000 crappie in a year . I try to put up 75 crappie( 20 pieces per bag regardless of fish ) 75 red ear/blue gills , and 25 catfish . A Total of 175 fish , will feed us 2 times a month(for a year) and a sunday school fish fry and a family fish fry . Frozen males /females do not improve the management process where I fish . Once I get my numbers ,I fish for a fish to mount . 241674241676

lowe175
06-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Some years it's going to be way up in the thousands like maybe 5000 or so . The last to years probably 2000 . But I fish 2 or 3 days a week. But I don't keep fish very often maybe 30 a year. Sometimes If someone asks me for some I'll keep them for a friend.

crappieintern
06-11-2016, 01:31 PM
I'd have to say well under 1000. I have had a few years where I've caught about 300 off one tree or brushpile. Best day last year was a 40 fish day of nice slabs planning on releasing all of them until my fishing buddies wife called and said she was hungry for crappie. Ended up keeping 8 that day.

Locator79
06-11-2016, 02:19 PM
LOL....at least a million.....give or take a million

Gomer Snerd
06-11-2016, 03:07 PM
I catch at least 100 every day I go. unless I have any witnesses.

Slowboat
06-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Boy! You guys must have it figured out. I'm not new to fishin but have been trying to target crappie since last year and aquiring a boat. I fish a 9000 acre lake that has good size crappie but have probably caught 100 dinks from some smaller lakes. Really struggling at the bigger lake. This morning throwing a bandit 300 and a pink/chartreuse roadrunner found several and ended up with only 2 keeper crappie along with the stray catfish and small mouth.
I was happy! At least getting on a few crappie at this lake. I dont care about keeping that many really but sure will be happy when I can catch and release a limit anytime I wanted! I better boat would probably help but I'll have to figure it out with what I got!
I enjoy reading the comments and sure have learned a lot from this site.
Happy fishing !

Cane Pole
06-11-2016, 03:18 PM
You fellers count urs, I weigh mine.

Slowboat
06-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Maybe i should go by length??
I've caught 500 inchers of crappie this year!

cevans
06-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Well, I've caught over at least a 1000 so far this year, kept 300 mostly 10.5 to 15" as we eat crappies twice a week and when famliy is over. Still fishing so I don't count, but we can keep 25 a day in Indiana so right now it only takes me 3-4 hrs to keep a limit if I am on my game.

uofa314
06-11-2016, 10:44 PM
I don't fish as much as I would like, but I go about 25 times a year I would guess, and probably average 20 each time I go. So that's about 500 in a year. I only keep them when someone is with me that wants some, or if I want to cook them that night. I usually pick out about 7 of the biggest ones to keep. That seems about right for my family. I have nothing against people keeping a limit, I just don't like cleaning them every time. The lake I fish used to have way too many in it and you could catch 100, but they would be 9". A few years ago, the water was lowered down so that only the original creek bed was left so they could work on the dam. It stayed that way over a year. Most of the fish washed through the dam I think. Now, the fishing is much better in my mind. I don't catch as many, but the average has gone up to about 11" and several will be 14"+. I think its good for the lake to keep some of the fish to keep them from getting over populated.

Ketchn
06-12-2016, 08:53 AM
some folks go more often than others so i imagine the numbers are not really important anyway . and for sure there are some days that one or 2 makes me happy .
heck there are days i want to just land one ! ....sometimes these fish are difficult to obtain in ones hand dont ya know .....:cheers2

wannabe fisherman
06-12-2016, 03:36 PM
don't know how many I catch, never keep count and don't keep many to take home.

Marine4life
06-12-2016, 08:42 PM
I definitely wouldn't take any advice from me. I have kept 27 crappie 10 inch and longer and caught about 50 shorts in 8 trips. This is my first year really crappie fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

warmouth
06-13-2016, 11:05 AM
I used to clean around 400-450 crappie per year for family and fish fries, etc. Now I target 250+/- to put in the freezer per year. Last year I ended up with 255 crappie, and then a few bluegill as well, around 100.

We eat fish once per week at home, so that generally get's us through the year.

All species combined, counting throwbacks??? Have no idea but it'd be a lot. I told a buddy two weeks ago I've caught 10,000 fish out of my old jon boat that I've had for almost 20 years, and when I started thinking about the math, it would have to be more than that.

Nutbush
06-13-2016, 02:26 PM
After reading all of these posts I really feel inferior. I think I have only caught a limit once, and i am 41. If I catch 5 keepers in a trip I really feel like I have accomplished something. I will estimate 200 crappie over my lifetime. Heck someone has to work.

Ketchn
06-13-2016, 02:58 PM
no matter the number the answer should always be ...NOT ENOUGH ....:highfive

murdok
06-13-2016, 03:02 PM
i embarrassed to even reply. i been crappie fishin for 6 years. my job lets me fish about 5 or 6 times a month. i do just about every tactic but i've never even caught a limit before in one trip. i thought i had a limit once at chotard i quit when i got to 30 then got to the boat ramp and the guy at the bait shop told me the limit was 50. i didn't know about the navigable waters thing with ms river oxbows. guess the most i ever caught in one year might be 200 but they were delicious.

Redge
06-13-2016, 08:25 PM
no matter the number the answer should always be ...NOT ENOUGH ....:highfive

Boy that's the truth.

Kind of like quail hunting, I just want one more!

NIMROD
06-13-2016, 09:11 PM
I usually catch well over a thousand each month most of the year . Keep a limit (30) most trips , have lots of friends who love fish . Many old timers not able to fish anymore are thrilled to get them . I only fish jig and jig pole . Hate to see how many I'd catch if I used some other methods .:twocents Got lots of friends that love to go and usually let them have the fish every trip .