Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umbrella for boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Umbrella for boat

I am looking for a cheap way to install an umbrella either on rhe boat oe on the seat. Doea anyone havw any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Check out a Sunbrella. If you have a Sam's card, they usually have the best price.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok what is the best way to install it?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have 3/4 pin seat posts, get 2 PVC T's and about 4 ft of pipe to fit. Put a 4-5 in piece of pipe between the 2 T's and square them up. With them pointing behind seat measure from recess of top T to outside edge of seat back. Then cut 2 pieces of pipe 2 inches longer, insert them into the T's then on the bottom piece install a 90 degree elbow pointing up and on the top one another T. Measure and cut a piece of pipe to fit between them. Then put another piece about 12 in into the top T. Fit all this together and install umbrella and check everything out before gluing together. This is for a Sunbrella. If using another style then you will need to use reducers up or down to fit on the out side T and Elbow. This should get you started.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes USMA65 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I got a good idea now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Umbrella for boat

I screwed down an oak board about 2x8x12
    Got galvanized pipes from Lowes
    Screw pipes to oak
    Fit pretty well into umbrella
    Drill hole through all and put a pin through it to hold down

Very solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    G3PO

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take some pictures of it

G3PO

Post Thanks / Like

Umbrella pole slides over the galv pipe

G3PO
    Likes MorganT69, CRAPPIE HUNTER 2008 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just measured & made a big L shaped deal out of PVC pipe, which has a coupling T on one end that the pedestal pole slips into, then a straight pipe goes to another coupling T, then a straight pole slips into that T (just behind the pedestal seat). I bought a beach umbrella from Lowe's for about $20, that has a button to push to angle it. I put the PVC pipe setup together, stuck the umbrella pole down in the upright PVC pipe, drilled a hole thru both & stuck a cotter pin thru the hole (to keep the wind from lifting the umbrella out of the upright PVC pipe).

The umbrella has a base pole & the umbrella part (2pcs) that fit together and lock. The base pole stays "pinned" inside the upright PVC pipe, and the lower connection setup stays separate until I put the two together to use. That way, I can break down the whole setup (3pcs) and store it in my rod locker, when not in use.

Umbrella is this type : http://pdf.lowes.com/useandcareguide...400403_use.pdf Umbrella is 6ft diameter ... pole is 6ft tall when both pieces are put together. Short enough to give good shade, and tall enough over a sitting angler to not get in the way of long rod use. When casting, though, you do have to cast sidearm when umbrella is in use.

PVC pipe was free (scrap) and the T's and umbrella cost less than $30 total. Quick & easy to put up & take down and stores away in the rod locker ... unlike my partner's, which he cemented his whole PVC rig together ... and so it has to go on the seat pedestal, whether or not he's using the umbrella.

Finally got around to taking a picture :

• And if you will notice ... I normally use a offset seat pole (as pictured). Unfortunately this allows the umbrella rig to tilt when it's positioned anywhere other than directly behind the seat's center. It's a minimal problem to me, but one I felt the need to expose. Now, if I were using a straight seat pole ... adding a 1.25" reducer collar to the top of the T that goes over the seat pole, then the wobble (tilt) would be reduced. And, in fact, my buddy has one that I intend to get from him and incorporate into my rigging. It will have to work without having to glue it into the T ... since I can't use it when using the offset seat pole. Otherwise, I will have to make two separate bottom sections in order to be able to switch seat poles.

Last edited by CrappiePappy; 08-03-2017 at 06:01 PM.
    Likes USMA65 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_0225.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  95.3 KBName:  IMG_0224.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  122.7 KBName:  IMG_0226.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  74.1 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast