Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night fishing and moon phase

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing and moon phase

Have heard and also witnessed that when the moon comes out at night the crappie seem to quite biting. Is this something that most people seem to notice also or is it just me? Happened just the other night to us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Lynn View Post
    Have heard and also witnessed that when the moon comes out at night the crappie seem to quite biting. Is this something that most people seem to notice also or is it just me? Happened just the other night to us.
    I know that this is not true in SW Ohio...During the summer, the only time I fish is at night. The Crappie will feed from dusk til dawn while the air temp and water temps cool alittle.
    All along the feeding flats you will see top-water action as they and other night predators drive shad or small baitfish into the shallows.
    Crappie have the second best night vision behind Walleye.

Most fish take up to an hour or so to switch from "Day" vision to "Night" vision, they will switch from Rods to cones, or vice versa....Crappie switch from Daytime color vision to Night-time HD Black and White. It takes the same time to switch back in the morning. Maybe this is what you are finding...The Switch-over!

I fished at dark last Friday and just tore up Crappie...and most were larger fish which are now feeding at night. During the day, most people are only catching dinks that are feeding,
    Keitech USA Pro Staff
    Likes glasseyes, Tom 513 LIKED above post

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INTIMIDATOR View Post
    I know that this is not true in SW Ohio...During the summer, the only time I fish is at night. The Crappie will feed from dusk til dawn while the air temp and water temps cool alittle.
    All along the feeding flats you will see top-water action as they and other night predators drive shad or small baitfish into the shallows.
    Crappie have the second best night vision behind Walleye.

Most fish take up to an hour or so to switch from "Day" vision to "Night" vision, they will switch from Rods to cones, or vice versa....Crappie switch from Daytime color vision to Night-time HD Black and White. It takes the same time to switch back in the morning. Maybe this is what you are finding...The Switch-over!

I fished at dark last Friday and just tore up Crappie...and most were larger fish which are now feeding at night. During the day, most people are only catching dinks that are feeding,
    How where you fishing? And were you using live bait? Lights?

Post Thanks / Like

I too prefer to night fish, and have offered Crappie Tournaments on full moon nights. Most don't get it, however as Intimidator has pointed out, Crappie see better in low light conditions. I prefer full moon nights in the summer for several reasons; It's cooler for me, the fishing is better, and the full moon offers some light for safety considerations while in the boat.

I'm a fair weather fisherman- fairly early in the morning and fairly late in the evening during the spring/fall. During the summer I prefer fishing at night, too dang hot in a full sun to fish during the day. Besides, I have other things I can do in daylight to keep the bride happy. Plus, my bride is NOT a hot weather person.

Fishing under lights is one technique that works well if you're not planning on moving. You create an mini-ecosystem which draws the bait and fish to you. Works well if you are close to the bait/fish already. To start my micro-ecosystem I hang a Coleman white gas lantern about 4' above head height and 3'-4' off the side of the boat. This draws in the bugs, who end up dying and falling into the water, which provide food for shad, and shad provide food for Crappie. If you put in a green light under the boat, it will draw in algae, which has the same effect.

Honestly, I prefer to move from one spot to another at night. I have GPS and marked points on my sonar unit. A map chip with lake depths or a Auto-Chart Pro map I made of the lake and move from spot to spot, as if I was fishing during the day. Safety is a concern at night, so I go slower, about 5mph and stay in one general area.

Safety is the utmost concern, never assume a cloud less night will stay that way. Know the forecast and plan for it. Keep up to date on weather information. I have made a 25 minute run in a torrential downpour using lightening flashes to see shore line. Not the dumbest thing I have ever done, but pretty close.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes kycreek LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Day or night Dave, I do better in between the full and new than when dead on. Hope this finds you and Lynn doing well......Tim.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The fuller the moon get's and brighter the crappie will bite but will scatter them out hard to draw them in with the lights.
    LittleJohn
    Likes Dave and Lynn, Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

This could be why it has been tougher on me. Never thought about them scattering during a full moon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    The fuller the moon get's and brighter the crappie will bite but will scatter them out hard to draw them in with the lights.
    LittleJohn
    Good point LittleJohn.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Back when I Bass fish would love the full moon nights the bass would be on the banks gorging their self. The crappie are the same chasing the bait fish throughout the night.
    LittleJohn

Post Thanks / Like

Have you had any luck fishing at night without lights?

Sent from my LG-K120 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast