Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pulling cranks with Hi-teks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling cranks with Hi-teks

So I'm getting everything setup to pull cranks, I've got two 4-rod hi-tek holders I spider rig with up front. I don't have a TM with I-pilot or anything so I'm gonna pull out of the back with the big motor. Planned on getting 2 extra bases and running the rods straight out from the side of the boat, has anyone done this with hi-teks? I'm just worried about a rod coming out with them not having a whole lot of support in the front of the holder like say a drift master or spyder lok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Should be ok if you turn them sideways. I would definitely tape down a pool noodle or insulation on each rod in case you do loose one.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never lost a rod on using hi teks and been using them over 6 yrs long longing and cranking. Enjoy!
    Likes nware14 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  58.8 KB I haven't lost a pole yet. But did get hung the other day and snapped the butt end off of the rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, good to know I won't have to buy anymore rod holders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Hi-Tek Extreme model with the taller sides have had some stout whisker trout gnaw on my cranks and haven't lost a rod yet. Should you have the elite series, some folks back up the down side with a piece of angle to make sure that the rod can't come over the side and get out of shape. A $.50 fix and does outstanding. Slowridestu has the modification I speak of.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Elite Hi-Tek rod holders ... and if I were to use them to pull cranks out the sides, I'd do one or more of the following:

(1)point the rods "down" towards the water and slightly angled towards the front of the boat
    (2)put the rod handle butt farther back in the holder loop than what I do spider rigging or pushing
    (3)point the rod tips up and angled towards the back of the boat

The first and third option keeps the rod pressure on the cradle of the holder, while the second option allows the rod to be bumped out of the cradle but still not allow the rod handle to easily slip away from the holder loop.

I also "tune" the drag on my reels, so that they would slip before enough pressure was placed on the rod to break it. Also, using baitcast reels with thumb bars allows you to put your thumb on the line and engage the bar at the same time, so you can allow line to go out under control and not "birdsnest" on you if you hang up and can't stop, slow, or reverse the speed/direction of the boat.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I pull crankbaits with Hi Teks have done so for 8 years now......The ones on the sides I have them straight out the side and rod parallel to the water......The ones straight out the back I angle the rod up some. I have not lost a rod yet.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 7 pairs of bases from front to rear in my Excel plus some complete holders that Scott has been working on for the gunnel track on many aluminum boats like mine. I run mine like G mentioned. I like trigger grip rods for mine straight off the transom and I have pool noodle taped to the ones off the back. I deal with clients who aren't paying attention as to how they put the rods in the holders. I like the trigger to be behind the V part of the HiTeks. I haven't had one come out of the holders but have had dozens spin completely around in the holder when I hung up or hooked a big cat or drum. They stay put.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff