Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Location for Transduser?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Location for Transduser?

I mounted my transduser for eagle 320 in the rear of my boat, and ever since then when I take off and get on plane it will not read, now if we are just going real slow 2 to 7 mph it reads fine. If I could take a pic of it this week-end could someone tell me a better location to put it. When I mounted it the first time I went by the eagle 320 website and thought I had it in the right location, but I have had some folks tell me with out seeing it to remount it in a different location, so I would like to get it right this time. The boat is a 93 model skeeter bass boat, if any of yall have a bass boat and have the transduser mounted in the rear of the boat would yall mind taking a pic of it and posting it so I could get a better idea. But I will get a pic of mine on here this week-end.

Thanks for any input

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Marc, if your skeeter is a fiberglass bass boat and you have the room to do it, the best place for you to mount the transducer for your eagle is inside the hull of the boat at the back and just to the side of the vee. It has to mounted inside the very bottom layer of the boat. All you have to do is clean the area and make shure it is dry and get you a 2 part clear epoxy and mount it. The reason your eagle will not read at speed is because it is loosing water flow at some time and allowing air to get between the transducer and the water. If you get it mounted inside the boat, the temp. won't work but the finder will work flawlessley at any speed.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot-through? The only problem is I want that water temp espeacially with the spawn comming. I did concider the shoot through method, but was not quite sure how to do it. I may still concider it though.

Thanks Tim

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Marc, I forgot to say that I use the Eagle 320 on the steering console, and my trolling motor so I get my temp readings from the one on the front.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea the one on the front is not does not have a temp sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    I mounted my transduser for eagle 320 in the rear of my boat, and ever since then when I take off and get on plane it will not read, now if we are just going real slow 2 to 7 mph it reads fine. If I could take a pic of it this week-end could someone tell me a better location to put it. When I mounted it the first time I went by the eagle 320 website and thought I had it in the right location, but I have had some folks tell me with out seeing it to remount it in a different location, so I would like to get it right this time. The boat is a 93 model skeeter bass boat, if any of yall have a bass boat and have the transduser mounted in the rear of the boat would yall mind taking a pic of it and posting it so I could get a better idea. But I will get a pic of mine on here this week-end.

Thanks for any input

Marc
    I use an Eagle (not that model ) on a skeeter and I can run wide open and read depth...
    You have to make sure that your tranducer is in clean water..no bubbles ect
    If you are on the lower most part of the transom and still no reading the angle is important It should be pointed slightly forward.
    All that done then try lowering further into the water flow.
    Hope this helps
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Default shoot thru hulll????

I had my transducer placed in the bilge on my Mariah F&S boat. Had problems with not reading while sitting dead in the water. Knocked the transducer loose and re-epoxied with clear and still had problems.
    Returned boat to dealer and they said that they had simular problems and DO NOT recommend thru the hull. The possibility of open pockets/voids in any given location is there and very difficult to get a "good" location.
    Make sure the transducer face is located just below the bottom of the hull at a flat area on the bottom of the boat"not at a transission".
    Be sure the location that you choose to drill a hole to take the cable thru the hull is above the water line and that you use a good waterproof epoxy or sealer to seal the hole after putting cable thru.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Marc ..... straight from the Lowrance website -

Quote Originally Posted by Marc

Thanks for any input

Marc

The transom mount transducer can be installed on any outboard or stern-drive (inboard\outboard) powered boat.
    The "kick-up" mounting bracket helps prevent damage if the transducer strikes an object while the boat is moving. If the transducer does "kick-up", the bracket can easily be pushed back in place without tools.

Always read the transducer installation instructions that came with your unit carefully before attempting the installation. Determine which of the mounting positions is right for your boat. Use extreme care when mounting the transducer, since the transducer location is the most critical part of a sonar installation. If it isn’t done properly, the sonar can’t perform at it’s designed potential.

1. The transducer must be placed in a location that has a smooth flow of water at all times. If the transducer is not placed in a smooth flow of water, interference will show on the sonar’s display in the form of random lines or dots whenever the boat is moving.

2. The transducer should be installed with it’s face pointing straight down, if possible.

3. Make certain the transducer's location doesn’t interfere with the trailer or hauling of the boat. Also, don’t mount it closer than approximately one foot from the engine’s lower unit. This will prevent cavitation interference with the propeller. Typically, the transducer should be mounted as deep in the water as possible. This increases the chance that it will be in the water in high speed and reduces the possibility of air bubble interference.

4. If possible, route the transducer cable away from other wiring on the boat. Electrical noise from engine wiring, bilge pumps, and aerators can be displayed on the sonar’s screen. Use caution when routing the transducer cable around these wires.

Also, make sure that your transducer bracket isn't loose, that your transducer doesn't swing freely, and if you have a "kick-up" type transducer bracket ... that it's clicked solidly into place. Anything that will create a disturbance of water flow, bubble stream, or having the transducer too far below the bottom edge of the boat (or too high up above the bottom edge) will cause your unit to not read at speed. If it's reading at slow speeds, then it's working, so we know it's not a problem with the unit. That narrows it down to the transducer or position of the transducer. You may want to have someone lie down and look over the transom, while you run at speed, just to see if you can tell if there's a smooth water flow under the transducer, or if there's "disturbed water" flowing under it. Also check the angle that the transducer is set, in regards to the position of the boat when running at speed ... if it's angled a bit towards the bow, you should be OK -- but, if it's angled towards the transom end of the boat or straight down, then you might be outrunning the signal (or shooting the signal behind you).

The reason I mention this, is -
    Had a similar problem on my fishing partners boat ... transducer (skimmer type) was mounted on another brand of bracket. It was in the right place ... it just wasn't "solid" (it would "swing" on the bracket bolt) It would work just fine at slow speeds, but lost the signal when on plane. I taped it down, to the bracket, with duct tape ... and it works fine, now.

....... luck2ya ... cp