Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long Line Trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Line Trolling

I Here Alot Of People Talk About Long Line Troling Jigs And I Was Wanting To Try It But Needs Some Info:: How Fast To Move, Size Jigs, Size Weight, Ect.?????

B'n'M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    Vicious Pro Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MSCRAPPIE33
    I Here Alot Of People Talk About Long Line Troling Jigs And I Was Wanting To Try It But Needs Some Info:: How Fast To Move, Size Jigs, Size Weight, Ect.?????
    Check out my How To Page and I have some info for you about this style. It will tell you what to set you troll motor on and other stuff as well.

http://thumpitjigs.com/HowTo.html

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I had the pleasure of fishing w/ one of my East Tennessee board brothers, and he taught me quite a bit during out outing. When we were going .08 mph (tracked by the gps) and were fishing 1/8th oz hair jigs tipped w/ minnows, with roughly 50 yards of line out, we were catching fish that were in the 12 ft depth range.
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm still learning myself,but one thing I have learned is to just go out and try it.I just cast out as for as I can,and take off trolling,I can tell if my jigs are hitting bottom by watching the rod tips,they will start pulling like you are hung up and then let go, I just speed up a little.I try to run my jigs about two feet off the bottom in the spring time.Went I get one rod running like I like it to,then I will cast out some more. I also fish in a very open water lake,not a lot of timber,and about 10 to 30 foot deep.I watch my fishfinder very close,and went I see a brushpile or stump,I may speed up alittle to get my jigs across with out hanging up,then I slow back down ,and lots of times that's went I will catch a fish.

Post Thanks / Like

A speed indicator of some sort would help. also, at the begining don't
    put all of your lines out the same distance behind the boat. The more
    line you have out the deeper it's going to run. Trial & error will be a good
    teacher.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

What I know about it, is basically what everyone else is saying here. Cast out as far as you can behind the boat and troll just fast enough to keep the jigs off of the bottom. Sometimes it helps to add a little weight to it, if you caint get the boat to troll slow enough.
    I noticed that you only have a few posts, So you may not have seen the post about vertical slow trolling. This is another very effective way to put some fish in the boat. Fishin_Magician did a post awhile back explaining in pretty good detail. For those interested, here is the thread link.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ishin_magician
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I Do Alot Of Reading Here. I'm Not New To Trolling Or Crappie Fishing But Want To Start Long Linning. I Fish About 15 To 20 Tourn. A Year And Want Another Way To Catch Fish When Times Get Tuff. This Might Be A Good Way In Rough Water.

B'n'M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    Vicious Pro Team

crappie30 Guest

we fish lake somerville here in texas and use hellbenderswith a leader about 24 inches or so with a spoon at the end.i use 12 lbs line all the way.i go by the dam slow the big motor down.let about 50 feet or so out and you will feel the bite.we do catch white bass as well.