Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This makes it all worthwhile

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This makes it all worthwhile

When I started guiding fishermen, I knew it would be hard work, bad weather, dealing with less than cooperative clients, etc. What I didn't realize was how much satisfaction it can bring in things other than $$.

A guide buddy of mine has been having boat trouble and he asked if I could take some of his calls while he sorts out the repairs on his outboard. Since this is my 1st season and there are lots of other guides in our area for folks to choose from, I jumped at the chance to take those calls.

I got a call for a day trip with just a few hours notice. When I talked to the gentleman he mentioned his wife had never caught a fish IN HER 60+ YEARS. During our couple of conversations, I could always hear her in the background on speaker. I told them I would do my dead-level best to find a fish she could catch and call her own.

We got out Monday morning--Memorial Day. I was really afraid we would have terrible boat traffic like I had dealt with Sunday (worst I've ever seen!). They enjoyed the 5 minute boat ride to the area I wanted to start in. She was very observant and a quick study on the points I explained to them about what we would be doing and why. The line counter reels were totally foreign to both of them but they caught on quickly. We got a couple of rods out for each of them and I put out 2 more so we might increase our chances. I rarely fish when I have clients but they encouraged me to do so.

I was marking fish but it took almost an hour before we caught any. The lady asked if I had ever had a party out and not caught ANY fish. I told her no and that she and her husband were not going to be the first.

Her husband caught the 1st fish, an 11 inch white crappie. She was so excited and really started bearing down on her concentration. I looked back about 80 feet behind the boat and saw a fish come to the top. I told her she had one on but I had to figure out which rod. She was so excited as her husband videoed her reeling in her first fish ever, a 12 inch white crappie.

To say she was excited was the understatement of the century. I even got her to hold it for pics after showing her how.

They had originally wanted a 4 hour trip but that quickly became a 6 hour trip. She and her husband caught several good crappie, several catfish, and some white bass. Each one was as exciting to her as the first. Any time I had a fish hit either of my baits, I would hand her the rod and she would happily reel it in. In the end we ended up with a dozen keeper crappie and several quart bags of fillets.

They had asked if I had any good crappie recipes and I told them of one a friend from here at Crappie.com had given me that we have given to literally of dozens of friends. Later that night I got a text from them with a picture of their supper, the crappie recipe I had given them.

When I got home after this trip, my wife was there to help me get the boat in the garage and my gear ready for the next days trip. When she asked me how it went, all I could tell her was days like this that assure me I have made the correct move in my career.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! I really like it when it all comes together for a great day!
    Likes brucec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It really is rewarding to know you have done a good job and made a happy customer, even better when they show you how happy you made them. I don't get that as much as a mechanic, but it's nice to see it happen for folks that work hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome story! Thanks for being one of the "good guys".
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent story and pics. Keep up the good "work" Doug.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

That is an AWESOME story!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a great trip with great clients. Of course, any trip without emergency hook removal is just icing n the cake.

Post Thanks / Like

Good story,she looks happy in that pic

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Those are two happy looking customers....glad you were able to get them hooked up!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! Great post....and I'll bet your business keeps growing! that was one happy lady!!
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes" Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast