Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dannys lake wylie striper

Post Thanks / Like

Default dannys lake wylie striper

Pictured is danny holding his lake wylie striper from last night. Ive caught a striper occasionally in the past trolling jigs, all of em being small fish, not much bigger than a average white perch. this is the biggest ive seen come out of the lake. He put up a good fight for danny on his ultralite crappie rig. not being sure about any striper size limits for wylie, and it only being 17 inches, we sent him back to grow some more.
    Last edited by rango; 12-19-2008 at 06:47 AM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

wylie size limit on striper is 18 inches....keep 3 per person..FYI
    Full day 1/2 day or evening Striper/Crappie fishing trips available at a very affordable price for
    Lake Norman, Badin, Wateree, High Rock.
    Individual maker of the heavy duty "hybrid" A-rig Trolls just like an umbrella rig, Guaranteed to put fish in the boat

https://www.facebook.com/pmmalec Email: [email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/BOLOcharters

Post Thanks / Like

Default big ones?

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    wylie size limit on striper is 18 inches....keep 3 per person..FYI
    Are there many big ones in the lake? I noticed they always give a report on the dnr site on how they a biting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funfishing
    Are there many big ones in the lake? I noticed they always give a report on the dnr site on how they a biting.
    Those reports are put out by a bait shop in Rock Hill and refer to the river below the dam. BTW--does anyone have experience fishing there? I know they haul some nice ones out and it's so close.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ive done a lot of fishing off the rocks below the dam for catfish. Ive tried the stripes there a time or two, but never caught any there. ive got a friend thats got a 24 lb striper on his wall he caught off of a bucktail in there a few year ago. theres some great fishing off them rocks in the corner at the dam face. to fish in there youll need a good casting rod you can get some distance out of and a good slip float. I use those ten inch weightless pole floats you can find at BP or wally world with a one oz egg sinker under it> If the waters running, throw as far towards the dam face aas you can get and let it drift back, reel in and throw again. or throw a bucktail or whatever you wanna use. bucktails or plugs would probably work better in the fast water anyway.. If its not running your float will stay where you put it and using cut bait you will catch catfish, striper or a gar occasionally. i wouldnt try fishing tightline on the bottom. you can be guranteed a hang just about every time you throw out. the scdnr puts out regular reports about the striper fishing being good at the dam, but keep in mind its below the wylie dam in the catawba river and not above it in lake wylie. That area used to be one of my favorite spots in the late 60's before i got a boat and could prowl the waters of wylie. I still like going there occasionally, but only through the week as it gets crowded on the weekends and about all the good spots near the dam face is taken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    Ive done a lot of fishing off the rocks below the dam for catfish. Ive tried the stripes there a time or two, but never caught any there. ive got a friend thats got a 24 lb striper on his wall he caught off of a bucktail in there a few year ago. theres some great fishing off them rocks in the corner at the dam face. to fish in there youll need a good casting rod you can get some distance out of and a good slip float. I use those ten inch weightless pole floats you can find at BP or wally world with a one oz egg sinker under it> If the waters running, throw as far towards the dam face aas you can get and let it drift back, reel in and throw again. or throw a bucktail or whatever you wanna use. bucktails or plugs would probably work better in the fast water anyway.. If its not running your float will stay where you put it and using cut bait you will catch catfish, striper or a gar occasionally. i wouldnt try fishing tightline on the bottom. you can be guranteed a hang just about every time you throw out. the scdnr puts out regular reports about the striper fishing being good at the dam, but keep in mind its below the wylie dam in the catawba river and not above it in lake wylie. That area used to be one of my favorite spots in the late 60's before i got a boat and could prowl the waters of wylie. I still like going there occasionally, but only through the week as it gets crowded on the weekends and about all the good spots near the dam face is taken.
    Thanks for the info Rango. With these nites gettin cold I think I'm gonna explore the fishin at that spot. What kinda bait do you run under the slip float?
    One taste of the bait

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    Thanks for the info Rango. With these nites gettin cold I think I'm gonna explore the fishin at that spot. What kinda bait do you run under the slip float?
    we use cut bait kunes. whatever you have on hand seems to work ok.. when the waters warm i catch shad with a small throw net.. four ft. I wouldnt use a big one there. too dangerous and hangy to. if you decide to go,, save a couple of crappie for bait. it will work as good as anything in there and stays on the hook good. Last summer (2003) i took two of my daughters in there catfishing and we filled a stringer full of cats. i give em to a couple fellers fishing there as i dint wanna lug them up them rocks to the parking lot.
    there was two oriental fellers in a john boat out there behind the dam face past the keep out cable strung across the river catching the hound out of some kind of fish,, it wasnt catfish, but at the distance and with no binocs it looked like either white bass or crappie.. they was catching one after another in there when the man caught em. he pulled em over to that rock island in the center of the river and you could see him writing citations. He was with em for a good while before he left with them. dont know what happend to em after that but the next week we was back in there and them same two fellers was back in there fishing again past the keep our cable. must have been some good fishing for em, worth the risk of gettin caught again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    we use cut bait kunes. whatever you have on hand seems to work ok.. when the waters warm i catch shad with a small throw net.. four ft. I wouldnt use a big one there. too dangerous and hangy to. if you decide to go,, save a couple of crappie for bait. it will work as good as anything in there and stays on the hook good. Last summer (2003) i took two of my daughters in there catfishing and we filled a stringer full of cats. i give em to a couple fellers fishing there as i dint wanna lug them up them rocks to the parking lot.
    there was two oriental fellers in a john boat out there behind the dam face past the keep out cable strung across the river catching the hound out of some kind of fish,, it wasnt catfish, but at the distance and with no binocs it looked like either white bass or crappie.. they was catching one after another in there when the man caught em. he pulled em over to that rock island in the center of the river and you could see him writing citations. He was with em for a good while before he left with them. dont know what happend to em after that but the next week we was back in there and them same two fellers was back in there fishing again past the keep our cable. must have been some good fishing for em, worth the risk of gettin caught again
    Any size to thje cats? I hear the white bass get in there pretty thick--maybe that's what your asian friends were catching. The day I was there the water was runnin pretty fast. Didn't look like fun boating--at least not for a fishin boat.
    One taste of the bait

Post Thanks / Like

the biggest catfish we caught went about 5 or six lbs,, a channel. we fished in there a few times, till the girls got tired of it and i havent been back since then, after they turned me down for another trip in there.
    I wouldnt take a boat in there. In 1970 me and another guy took my 14 ft aluma craft in there and anchored for a night of catfishing.. the water was still and low so we had to get out and wade through the rocks pulling the boat across some shoals there below the dam. what we dint know was we had anchored over the boil that erupts when they turn the screws on. when the water started flowing and the boil erupted we was right in the middle of it anchored. we cut the anchor ropes and the boat took off down the plume we had come up, bouncing off rocks going down stream. it was several hundred yards before we got control of the boat and got the motor cranked to get out of that mess. back then we used ambasadeur 5000,s for our catfishing and if memory serves me right we left four of em in there we dint have time to get in before we went off down the creek. that was my last trip in there in a boat . theres a ramp there below the damn if a mans inclined to fish the river. never been down river cause after our experience with the boil i never had a desire to see what the fishing was like down there. Id be too worried about craft and motor damage

Post Thanks / Like

when the water is running the fish are pretty active, feeding on the chopped up buffet that gets washed through the screws. the best bet would be to take two rods,, one for casting artificals and one rigged for slip floating. use the slip floating rig if the water is still,, the castin rig if the water is running..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast