Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sprayed the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sprayed the lake.

Every spring they spray the lake I fish to kill off moss. Anyone know if this is detrimental to the fish (or me eating the fish)?

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The best thing that ever happened to any number of lakes that I fish in Illinois has been when they leave the vegetation alone. The habitat,protection,and oxygen it provides is a boon to the fishery. I do not think anything typically used is toxic to fish or man.However....I would inquire as to the exact chemicals used from those who apply it and do my own research specifically on those chemicals and make my judgment based on those findings. You know how it goes...what's considered safe today is discovered later to maybe not be so safe.Anything used should have to be EPA and DNR compliant but still........

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of times they might use a mix/liquid of copper sulfate (I think that is name of it) and it takes the oxygen out of the water and kills the weeds. Fish just move out of the area till the oxygen levels come back after a few days as it is not a poison. See if you can check tho and see what they are using.

Post Thanks / Like

copper aint a good thing to ingest ....and i imagine a certain amount of whatever they are spraying is in the fish that live there . i wouldnt eat any fish from there but then again i am one that looks at water sheds and water reports and considers the possibilities of pollutants in the spots i hit . many times if you dig deep enough you will find information that is startling on the suggested consumption rates in the local waters .
    lots of lakes have fish that are not fit for consumption by children and pregnant women and many have rates of suggested consumption so low its pretty clear they aint fit to eat. 4 ounces a month is what i have read on alot of water bodies as a maximum ....ketchers beware my friends ....and it isnt isolated to just texas either ....
    pretty much the fish i actually keep for us to consume come from places i have researched a bit and are far upstream from major metropolitan areas and industry ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

They did that at Crystal Lake here in Iowa last year and wound up killing everything in the lake. The wouldn't admit it but the die off happened two days after they sprayed the lake for algae growth.

http://globegazette.com/news/local/a...26354ab86.html

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    A lot of times they might use a mix/liquid of copper sulfate (I think that is name of it) and it takes the oxygen out of the water and kills the weeds. Fish just move out of the area till the oxygen levels come back after a few days as it is not a poison. See if you can check tho and see what they are using.
    Just do not try to poison the entire lake at one time . I do a third of the lake at a time .

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen areas with zero fish of any kind that had lots of dead/decaying weeds after spraying. It creates an area with very low oxygen.
    I'm not an expert but have been told several times not to spray the whole lake for this reason
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by h0MbrE View Post
    They did that at Crystal Lake here in Iowa last year and wound up killing everything in the lake. The wouldn't admit it but the die off happened two days after they sprayed the lake for algae growth.

Algae bloom kills thousands of fish at Crystal Lake | Mason City & North Iowa | globegazette.com
    Starting over is not really a bad thing in most situations .
    Likes Long Grove labs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My experience has been if a body of water has been recently sprayed, go somewhere else to fish! They say what they use is safe but it sure has a negative effect on the fish bite. Just my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by h0MbrE View Post

Algae bloom kills thousands of fish at Crystal Lake | Mason City & North Iowa | globegazette.com
    Was this the same DNR that drops mountains lions from black helicopters in order to re-establish them?