Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville Lake Late Crappie Report- May 20, 2016 Video Inlcuded!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville Lake Late Crappie Report- May 20, 2016 Video Inlcuded!

The dam was very windy, managed a nice 12.5" crappie in the video, moved down and caught a couple of dinks. Left home with 4 keepers. Sorry for late report. Went to LA right after so it was awesome squeezing in a fishing trip with the paps. Overall bite was slow and had to cast really far and about 6ft down. I added more weight onto my line for farther casting distance. Was a challenge on detecting bites but that's where some of the fish were. People around me were fishing with jigs. They caught a couple more and bigger fish. Hoping to mess with jigs and getting familiar with them in the future!

Check out my first fishing Youtube video ever! Caught more but gopro died thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=444W17CWE0k
    Likes Manny, cy912 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you are getting good at using the slip bobber. If you have a split shot on your line, why not remove it and instead put a jig above your minnow? The weight of the jig keeps the minnow in place, and the minnow swimming around makes the jig move. Do some research and find the best way to tie on a jig. I think maybe a loop knot is recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh....one more thing.....don't quit your day job.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quitting my job was somewhat a good decision. It's now a disaster there.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I just hate how the bobber stopper weakens alot. That's the plan next time if that water can lower a bit! :D thanks, ill keep that loop knot in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    Looks like you are getting good at using the slip bobber. If you have a split shot on your line, why not remove it and instead put a jig above your minnow? The weight of the jig keeps the minnow in place, and the minnow swimming around makes the jig move. Do some research and find the best way to tie on a jig. I think maybe a loop knot is recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Good video.I would use a longer rod, in a open area casting a slip float a 9 or 10 foot rod would be the ticket. You can cast further, and the longer rod takes up slack line faster on the hook set.

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it
    From an old movie I saw

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like you're getting the hang of it. One thing, though; with some fish some people will tell you to wait for them to actually take the bait, then set the hook - with crappie, if I even begin to think that the dang bobber is even thinking about moving, I'm gonna set the hook. With that said, I always try to keep tension on the line with a very slow retrieve.
    Swan-Diving off the tongues of crippled giants

Post Thanks / Like

Hm. I hate setting my rods and reels on the rocks. Maybe some rod holders? Just a suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, they're awesome. I will definitely keep that in mind on my next crappie fishing trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I might have a short and long rod next time. I tend to use and buy short rods now a days. The reason for this is because I can leave it infront of me on the bank usually without touching the water. I find the short rods very convenient for spacing as well. But I do agree with you on the further casting and taking slack line faster, makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookin'&Cookin' View Post
    Good video.I would use a longer rod, in a open area casting a slip float a 9 or 10 foot rod would be the ticket. You can cast further, and the longer rod takes up slack line faster on the hook set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast