Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Posing Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Posing Fish

I sent this pic: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...dNiteSlabs.jpg to Ed for the T shirt contest. The file size is too big to reduce enough for uploading to the board without loosing to much resolution so you'll have grit your teeth and click that mouse to see it.
    Anyway, Ed made a comment on how the fish was posed so I thought post something I learned awhile back.
    Years ago--1981 to be exact--I was a field editor for a regional fishing magazine. I had to write articles (longhand), sell advertising and sometimes deliver magazines. I found that if I could mention the name of a tackle shop (they HAD tackle shops back then) they would buy a bigger ad. Same thing for guides and marinas. More ads meant bigger articles and more $ for your truly. Then I discovered that if I could get a picture in with the article the guide or baitshop etc would buy even bigger ads leading to a lucrative career of almost making a living.
    There was a troutfishing guide named Ron Irland that specialized in nitefishing. I took good care of him in the articles and he would take me out nitefishing when he didn't have a charter. We did it just like we nitefish for crappie. I remarked one time on how good his fish pictures were and he gave me a few tips.
    First, there needs to be something in the shot that the eye can relate the fish to as far as size. Take a pic of a slab laying on a concrete floor with nothing around and you have no idea how big it is. A tape measure or ruler next to the fish will tell the story but without much drama or interest:http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...45/T-shirt.jpg The best pics are those that show a side view of the fish being held by a person. Everyone probably knows that if you hold the fish at arms length toward the camera it will look bigger because of the relationship of the fish's image and the person's image. The real trick to get the most out of the fish when holding it that way is to hold the fish so your arm, hand and fingers are concealed by the fish. Then there is nothing for the eye to relate the fish to other that your image far behind it. If the fish isn't big enough to hide your appendages you probably don't need a pic of it anyway I slip my fingers into the gills and hold the fish out on my extended arm and let it hang down to hide my hand and arm.
    Ed told me he would like the pic better if the fins were extended and to try again. That fish on the left was 1lb 15oz. Gettin another one not quite that simple Ed!
    Last edited by kunes; 01-13-2005 at 11:04 AM.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

medicine bottles work as a good referance.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if I could touch up the fins and make the fish stand out. I'll try some of that with Photoshop once I get all the contestants pics in. I'm just waiting for Slabtroller. He said he was still working on one and would be submitting it soon.

Great advice Kunes. Thanks.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ncnat
    medicine bottles work as a good referance.
    Hey--Cspen already has me measurin stripers by the distance between canvas snaps on his windshield. Lets try to standardize our units here. Let's see--most boats have canvas snaps...oh, but ALL nitestalker boats have medicine bottles.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com