HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "other" Crappie ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default The "other" Crappie ?

Hopefully no one gets sideways over this post . I couldnt find a place on this forum to post up about Tilapia . We went to the nuclear power plant lake out by Glen Rose , Texas yesterday . Its a by appointment lake and i have heard some really good stories about the truck loads of Tilapia it has and how fun and easy they are to ketch . Well i had a tip or 2 and none of them played out early . We found drum and catfish at first doing what the local folks told us to do . so after about an hour of not ketchn Tilapia we started to just do our own thing . The rig has an 1198 on it and we just cruised the shore line a bit and side scanned . We set her at about 40 foot and didnt go far before we came up on some cat tails and the imaging suggested there was a herd of fish up by them .
    Well between the 3 of us it was a cast or 2 and it was on ! Once we understood them we slayed them beyond reality . They are pretty good fighters with a bream like thing at first and then power once they realize what the deal is . we filled up 2 48 quart ice chests by lunchtime and called it a day . They wanted pcs. a worm on gold wire hooks about 18 inches under a float in about 2 foot of water . sure did take a long time to clean all them fish though ...
    Anyway i told yawl i was going and thats what i did ....
    and as we say in these parts KABOOM ....
    till my next adventure hope you have a great day
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like ya'll had a blast! And interesting to know that Tilapia are stocked in lakes in some parts of the country. If you gonna eat them, then your doing it the right way. I don't any farm raised aquatic species, not tilipia, not shrimp, heck not even catfish anymore. Wild caught is the way to go.. nice job Ketchn, and great post as always!!
    Likes Redge LIKED above post
    Thanks Sup thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice catch,bet they did take awhile to clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like lots of good eating there. I like to bake them with butter and Old Bay seasoning
    Boh
    USAF, Retired (1968 - 1992)
    1st SOW Air Commando

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see someone is catchin', cleanin' and eatin' them. Have been told it is unlawful to toss them back into the lake in that particular lake. Nice haul.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

We stocked our 100 acre club pond with Tilapia to help control weeds. The Hatchery folks told us that when the water temp got to the 50s they would come up to the surface and we could net them for a fish fry. They must have found a thermal stream cause we never saw them again.
    Did catch one every now and then, good eating.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That cooler is more like a "treasure chest" when you consider what the price per pound is (whole fish weight), which is between $3.00 - $3.50

We can buy'em at the store or in some restaurants, but I don't know of any lakes around here that have them.

With all that fin coverage, I suspect them critters can give you some good pullage !!
    Likes Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Never eat one, do they taste just like chicken?

Post Thanks / Like

When you turn out the lights do they glow?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch. Those somehow got into Old Hickory Lake in Gallatin, TN. At first folks were only catching them at the Gallatin Steam Plant discharge canal. Then they started showing up at different spots of the lake. People have caught cooler fulls in areas of the lake in early winter when water temps were at 48 degrees. The theory is they are climatizing to the cold weather.

Regards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast