Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple funny things from today--one not so funny

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Couple funny things from today--one not so funny

I had 2 guide parties today trying to help out a buddy who has an outboard on the fritz. The guys were all from Chicago and they weren't transplants. They were true-blooded. While one group was out, one guy had one of his crankbaits hang up on something. I quickly discovered it was tangled up in my prop. I took the line and broke it off and tied him another crank on. Probably 20 minutes later, one of the other guys and I saw a fish come up just feet behind the boat then go back down a couple of times. I had the guys check all 8 rods we had out and none had fish on them. I shrugged it off until we saw the fish again. The lightbulb flickered to life and I decided to raise the Suzuki up so I could see the prop. Sure enough, the line led away in a big tangle but there was about a 1 1/4 pound crappie with a face full of C55 trailing the mess. I have no way of knowing if the fish was the cause of the initial tangle or it hit the crank after I broke it off. Either way, I netted it and got as much of the line and the crank back. ( Pulled the prop later to get the rest of the line)

Shortly before I got ready to take the 1st group back to where I picked them up, the same guy who hung up in the Suzuki got his crankbait tangled up in some trash on the bottom. As he reeled it in and swung the bait in so I could clear it, I realized he had hooked a wristwatch. It was a sports band and the face was still very visible. It read 2:30. I'm just glad it didn't have a wrist with it. We've dragged up lots of tackle and all sorts of trash but this was the 1st wrist watch.

I got my rig home and dragged my butt to the shower then took my wife out for Chinese. As we were getting the boat ready later for another guide trip Monday and Tuesday, I went to reach for something--I don't even remember what--when I buried one side of a treble hook on a Bandit Mistake crank almost to the bone in my left pinky finger. I had blood everywhere but once my wife got over the initial shock of it all, she helped me find some side-cutter pliers and cut the hook off at the shank. We now retreated to the bathroom sink as I left a trail of blood from the boat. It took us about 10 minutes to finally push the hook thru enough to get hold of the barb end, clip the bend off, and pull it out of my finger. The blood then flowed like a stuck hog. I've always managed to get hooks out without a trip to the ER. Luckily this was another time.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Man Doug, I think I liked my day better. Cookout with the family over grilled brats and homemade ice cream. Don't you know those bandits bite when you leave them in the box too long while using the c55's. Lol. Seriously be careful.
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was with a guide a few weeks ago on a walleye trip when a friend got a flicker shad embedded in his pinky. The guide had me drive the boat so I didn't get to see exactly what he did, but he wrapped string around the hook and popped it out, no pain, no blood. Says he has done it about 15 times over the years. And yeah, we lost a real nice smallie that got caught in the prop.
    Likes blueball, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

OUCH !!
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting day Doug. Lol. Got any more? This is good with my morning coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes:
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

man i am glad i dont guide sometimes ....one of my guide buds takes the front trebles of all of his cranks and top waters .
    glad you got that hook out . i buried a gold wire number 8 into my pinky bone when i was a kid ....not fun
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

OUCH!!!!
    If we did what was most important in life there would be a shortage of Bibles.................and fishing poles

Post Thanks / Like

I feel for you buddy! About 50 years ago I use to be a mate on charter boats in Ocean City, N.J. Chartering is a tough job even on the good days and if you have a bad group for the day it is miserable. Also the worse they are the less they tip!!!

DaveB40 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

YeeeeeeeOuch! I can feel it up here in northern Illinois!
    Enjoyed the story. Hope you heel well quickly! Dave
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago we had about the same thing happen. We were pulling jigs and my partner in the back of the boat keep saying he was seeing a fish (crappie) jumping behind the boat. This went on for a good while and he started trying to catch it. After a few cast he said I got it!!! When he pulled it in it was on a line that I had broke off on the prop about an hour before. I don't know if the fish was on the line when I broke it or it hit it later but it was a good crappie. When you troll long enough you can catch a lot of things. (shoes, rocks, Crankbaits) I don't know if MrDux remembers this but I caught 1 of crankbaits out of KY Lake one day that he had lost earlier in the week!!!
    Set da hook
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast